Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Useful Items From Thrift And Dollar Stores For The Shop

Ok - here is how to do it.

Find a board or a 1/4" sheet of steel in the shop (metal shops hate wood due to dust - ask me!).
Get a hacksaw blade - the hand type not machine type - but both would work.

Pre-fab so the length of the blade easily fits across the material.
Cut the other dimension to 1/4 sheet or 1/2 sheet above the flat (back) edge.
(that is the cutting edge. Scribe 1/4 if 1/2 sheet size is used. Have 1/2 sheet 'under'
the blade...

Place it across said sheet of material over a sheet of sand paper
and center punch holes in the two stretching eyes.

Pilot drill each and then drill for a typical fine pitch thread (keeping metric in here :-) )

Bolt said blade onto the material.

Place sheet under the blade and using the back edge as a shear line, pull down and across
the back, the top left or right corner - that of the 1/2 or 1/4 sheet dimension.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Mike Paulson wrote:

From the dollar store, a large scissors that I use to cut sandpaper

sheets
into squares and strips. Cuts through 4 sheets at once. Been using it
since forever, not sure I ever had to resharpen it.

Might want to try a hacksaw blade next time.

Wrap masking tape around one end to form a handle.

Lew