Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ias ias is offline

Default Help with Nova DVR:"FAULT RP state error 0".

Nova DVR users ... please help!

I am getting the following error message on my Nova DVR: "FAULT RP
state error 0". I downloaded a FAQ page from the Nova (Teknatool) web
site and followed the instructions to the letter ... However, the
problem persists.

There is never a good time for technical difficulties, but
unfortunately timing couldn't be worse. I am right in the middle of
finishing a few piece which are scheduled to go on gallery display in
two weeks and so I am feeling pretty desperate for an urgent fix.

Please reply as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
irwin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Irwin

I was going to put a smartass answer in here like buy a Oneway lathe,
but that would not be much help for you right now, however there's a
group (Nova) site, for trying to help with all those problems that the
nova lathes seem to have, and sorry no I don't have the address. so
this is still not much better, but all I have.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

ias wrote:
Nova DVR users ... please help!

I am getting the following error message on my Nova DVR: "FAULT RP
state error 0". I downloaded a FAQ page from the Nova (Teknatool) web
site and followed the instructions to the letter ... However, the
problem persists.

There is never a good time for technical difficulties, but
unfortunately timing couldn't be worse. I am right in the middle of
finishing a few piece which are scheduled to go on gallery display in
two weeks and so I am feeling pretty desperate for an urgent fix.

Please reply as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
irwin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

ias wrote:
Nova DVR users ... please help!

I am getting the following error message on my Nova DVR: "FAULT RP
state error 0". I downloaded a FAQ page from the Nova (Teknatool) web
site and followed the instructions to the letter ... However, the
problem persists.

There is never a good time for technical difficulties, but
unfortunately timing couldn't be worse. I am right in the middle of
finishing a few piece which are scheduled to go on gallery display in
two weeks and so I am feeling pretty desperate for an urgent fix.

Please reply as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
irwin

Some ware in my favourites:

http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/messages.msnw

--

Gerard

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"ias" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nova DVR users ... please help!

I am getting the following error message on my Nova DVR: "FAULT RP
state error 0". I downloaded a FAQ page from the Nova (Teknatool) web
site and followed the instructions to the letter ... However, the
problem persists.

There is never a good time for technical difficulties, but
unfortunately timing couldn't be worse. I am right in the middle of
finishing a few piece which are scheduled to go on gallery display in
two weeks and so I am feeling pretty desperate for an urgent fix.

Gerard has given you a place, and there you will also find the number of Tim
Geist there. He's the US Teknatool service representative.

Unfortunately, electronics are very much like the little girl with the curl,
and today she's being horrid. Tim can get a replacement board to you if a
shot of compressed air or some dry weather won't suffice.

Disregard the braying in the other post. Last week he was criticizing
mechanical means of speed control.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default How about the older Nova 3000s? (long & OT)

OT, but doesn't need a separate thread.

I suspect that there are considerable numbers of the older Nova 3000s
being used with much satisfaction. The owners, their backs, necks and
shoulders would not give up the rotating headstock for a fixed headstock
trophy lathe. Maybe they lust for a XXX more in rote than in belief.

These older vanilla N3Ks seem to turn 'human size blanks' as well as any
of the current big ticket lathes. Why buy more cast iron than is
needed? It is no longer cheap nor even affordable for many hobbyists and
they can forgo turning the one time or very rare outsized piece. There's
no need to fiddle with electronic boards. With VS, N3Ks can go slowly
up or down from or to zero. True, I don't understand the desirability of
preset immediate speeds. Speed ruins and sudden speed ruins absolutely.

Extensions and beefier tailstocks (seldom necessary) and outboard tool
rests (also seldom necessary) are available for N3Ks. Probably the
number of problems reported is partly owing to the large number of N3Ks
in use & misuse. The pulley shaft problem is a case in point and even
there part of the blame rests on the motor.

Like Vega owners, N3Kers make a thing and revel in their ugly lathes and
less empty wallets. Many turn beautiful work on their ugly ducklings. If
they owned a plain & simple N3K, why would Mr. or Ms. average woodturner
want to 'upgrade'?

While I'm 'causing trouble', I'll throw in some more of my 'false
reasoning'. Unless the owner can justify the pride of ownership and can
afford the very best toy before he makes the final cut, it seems
illogical to pay big bucks for the lathe of a lifetime. Not likely since
"The only permanent thing is change".

What's this to do with "False RP State error"? Ans. Not much. Anyway,
relax all you super-lathe devotees. No doubt my opinions will change
tomorrow.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message
OT, but doesn't need a separate thread.

I suspect that there are considerable numbers of the older Nova 3000s
being used with much satisfaction. The owners, their backs, necks and
shoulders would not give up the rotating headstock for a fixed headstock
trophy lathe. Maybe they lust for a XXX more in rote than in belief.

I've never turned anything outside the ways on mine. Not a lot of
confidence, I guess. Besides, if you measure it, you'll find that you can
fit more crap in a 400mm bowl than your toilet bowl anyway.

True, I don't understand the desirability of
preset immediate speeds. Speed ruins and sudden speed ruins absolutely.

The 3000 has preset speeds too. Of course, a full diameter rough carelessly
spun up at 680 is a thrill I don't care to experience too often.

The pulley shaft problem is a case in point and even
there part of the blame rests on the motor.

Have to admit the engineering staff fumbled the ball on that one. Just a
bit more room aft for larger pulleys, and the place where the main strain
resides, slow and out of balance, would have been snug against the motor.

Like Vega owners, N3Kers make a thing and revel in their ugly lathes and
less empty wallets. Many turn beautiful work on their ugly ducklings.

Only the artistic types. Some just make money with them.

What's this to do with "False RP State error"? Ans. Not much. Anyway,
relax all you super-lathe devotees. No doubt my opinions will change
tomorrow.

Going to the local Woodcraft to see a Oneway? They certainly are some hefty
iron.

I'll admit that I have a 3000 because it was what I could afford. Otherwise
I'd be turning on a 3520.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote:

"ias" wrote in message
[...]

Found also this on the internet:

The optical sensors that give the spindle position feedback (ŚRotor
Positioną State) are obscured, damaged or have been disconnected. Dust over
a long period of time may have settled on the sensors. Firstly spin the
spindle by hand to create a draught through the sensors. Re-try the motor.
If the error remains, with the power switched off and disconnected, remove
the upper-rear guard and remove any wood dust with a vacuum cleaner. Avoid
getting the nozzle too close to the filter and electronics. After this step
dust may fall into the Headstock so suck the dust out through the vent at
the front of the Headstock under the spindle. Do this sequence a few times.
Try blowing if available with Vacuum or Air gun. Replace guard.

Comes from:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/La...DVR%203000%20M
anual_17%20November%2003.pdf

Suc6!
--
Gerard

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ias ias is offline

* * * * *
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions (although I must
admit
that I did get lost in some of the digressions).
Tim @ Teknatool in the US rocks!! I spoke with him this afternoon and
he
walked me through the fix. I am pleased to report that the DVR is
running
well again.

Thanks again.
Regards,
irwin
* * * * *

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Irwin, Glad that your DVR is up and running. No wonder that you got
lost. Sorry that I got carried away about the merits of the plain old
Nova 3000. Not intentionally rude, but nevertheless that much digression
from your thread is rude. I'll brush up on my netiquette.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

ias wrote:
* * * * *
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions (although I must
admit
that I did get lost in some of the digressions).
Tim @ Teknatool in the US rocks!! I spoke with him this afternoon and
he
walked me through the fix. I am pleased to report that the DVR is
running
well again.

Thanks again.
Regards,
irwin
* * * * *

Tell us what you had to do. I have the same machine and am loving it. I
wish it had a big off button.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Accidents don't just happen; they must
be carelessly planned.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ias ias is offline

Arch. Not rude at all. I thought the discussion was interesting.
It's just that I was in a rush to find a solution. Look forward to
chatting again.

Regards,
irwin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ias ias is offline

The solution really and simply came down to cleaning dust out of the
motor housing especially from around the circuit boards. In addition
to the great help Tim provided, Nathan @ Teknatool Internation sent me
a couple of very helpful FAQ sheets. I have since posted these
documents on the World of Woodturners web site under the File Cabinet
section.

Take care.
Regards,
irwin

Gerald Ross wrote:
* * * * *

Nova 3K George Woodturning 32 July 19th 05 06:03 PM
OT- State agency accused of helping Enron screw citizens Gunner Metalworking 0 March 21st 04 04:28 PM
Penn State DC1B-XL: 1 or 5 Micron Bag? David Patnaude Woodworking 4 November 6th 03 06:05 PM
Very happy with Penn State Customer Service Preston Andreas Woodworking 0 September 16th 03 01:50 AM
Penn State or Jet Dust Collector? John Mohn Woodworking 10 August 10th 03 01:06 PM