John Mohn

Default Penn State or Jet Dust Collector?

I have a two-car shop that I use for weekend WW. I am looking for a 1100
- 1350 CFM dust collector to use with my table saw, jointer, planner and
router table. I have narrowed my choices down to:

1. Jet DC-1100A ($299.99 + $21 tax) with 5-micron bag from local dealer
2. Penn State DC250SE ($299.99 + $60 shipping) with 5-micron bag and 50'
hose.

I am leaning towards the Penn State, but I was wondering about their
quality and reliability. Anyone have any comments, recommendations, or
advise?

Is 1100-1350 CFM sufficient for a one man 25x25 shop? I suspect I will
always just be a part-time WW and I don't want to have to upgrade in
a few years because I bought small (have already learned the hard way to
buy once, cry once...vice buy and buy again). The size of my shop and
amount of work I do does not justify a cyclone system IMHO.

TIA

John

Chris Merrill

Digger wrote:
Have you looked at the Grizzly G1029? 1550 CFM, 2hp,Right now comes with a
2 stage cyclone separator for $249.95 + $55 shipping. It gets good marks
from many on the WW groups. I am seriously considering this unit.

....which BTW is on sale for $240 until Sep 1...

************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Igor

I am in the same situation, pretty much, and my research (google archives
of this group) has led me to believe that a 1HP DC is good enough. And the
retired-engineer/WWer at the local Woodcraft told me the same -- even for a
planer or jointer. The question is whether you will be running more than
one dust-generating tool at a time. And, I suppose, how big in diam. the
hoses will be and their length and turns. Now, if you have all of your
machines hooked up at once and no blast gates, then a bigger machine is
needed -- like how much AC do you need if your kids leave the front door
open all the time. But if the DC is in the same small shop area and you
have blast gates or switch the hose as needed, maybe not. Anyway, I am
looking at the Jet 1HP machine, which is a bit more $$ but I've seen better
reviews versus Grizzly and Delta. FWIW.

PS: For cooking with my big wok burner, I use a roof-mounted 1100 CFM
blower attached to a 60" SS hood w/ 10" duct. So, I know a bit about the
benefits of good suckage. That being said, while too much can be a problem
when cooking because of the exhaust and neg pressure (I do have some return
air), not so with DC. For a few more $$ for the DC, I suppose, you know
you won't be under-powered.

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:48:16 GMT, John Mohn wrote:

[...]

Phisherman

[...]

I have a Penn-State. It has worked well, except after a year the
cheap plastic wheels broke off. I replaced that with rubber swivels
and it works great. I'd look at Grizzly. Get at least a 2HP, and get
one that can be optionally converted to 220 volts.

Steve Knight

Have you looked at the Grizzly G1029? 1550 CFM, 2hp,Right now comes with a
2 stage cyclone separator for $249.95 + $55 shipping. It gets good marks
from many on the WW groups. I am seriously considering this unit.

once you put in that separator your back down to the smaller unit's airflow.
but grizzly is full of bull on the airflow. no way a 12" impeller will dow 1550
cfms unless it is turbo charged (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:35:10 GMT, Igor wrote:

I am in the same situation, pretty much, and my research (google archives
of this group) has led me to believe that a 1HP DC is good enough.

only if you have a short hose and wheel it to each machine. if you want to run
pipe to each machine with blast gages you need more. even the 2hp machines will
really only power one outlet well.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Igor

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:24:16 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

only if you have a short hose and wheel it to each machine.

Hey, if I _had_ a short hose, I wouldn't have to wheel it around, would I?

Aaron Heck

My Penn State DC1BXL does fine for my 1 man shop. $219 with 1 micron bags,
too.

Aaron

"Tomeshew" wrote in message
Penn State. And yes, for a small one man shop, 1100 cfm will do.
John wrote:
I have narrowed my choices down to:

1. Jet DC-1100A ($299.99 + $21 tax) with 5-micron bag from local dealer
2. Penn State DC250SE ($299.99 + $60 shipping) with 5-micron bag and 50'
hose.

coloradotrout

Steve,

would buying the Griz 2hp now.. and then later building a cyclone be a
good move? what parts would I need in addition to the Griz components?

cyclone
filters (how many?)
mounting

is the blower on the griz fine for making a cyclone?

please elaborate..

thx much

Mark

I know a WW'er a few miles away who has a Penn State Cyclone.
Very sweet unit - he's estatic.
Can't speak for the bag units except I came very close to buying one
once. I found a cheaper unit at Wilke Machinery which has served well.
Mark from Pasadena, MD