Old July 12th 05, 10:00 PM
George

"Chuck" wrote in message
Am I the only person who is disappointed to hear that Teknatool has
discontinued the $850 Nova 3K in order to concentrate on the $1900
DVR? I don't know about the rest of you, but for me 1000 extra bucks
to get into a Nova isn't chump change. That's a lot of bowls, pens
and candlesticks. _Is_ there a domestic (US) lathe comparable to the
Nova 3000 for a similar price? Seems that Teknatool is shutting out a
lot of potential customers who might be inclined to buy a less-pricey
"entry level" lathe and have something to move up to in the future. I
mean, if I had 2 grand to spend on a lathe I'd probably wait a little
longer and just save up for a Oneway. AAMOF, that's probably what I
will do, now.

Why? Powermatic is a real great lathe at half the bucks.

The 3000 had a lot of problems and some modifications along the way. Not to
mention that a variable speed motor with controller kicks it up to a grand
and a half. At that price, I guess they prefer to chance the DVR.

Not many pulley-driven lathes available any more. Everyone else has made
their decision, now it's time for Teknatool to do it.

Old July 13th 05, 12:55 AM
Chuck

Default Nova 3K

Am I the only person who is disappointed to hear that Teknatool has
discontinued the $850 Nova 3K in order to concentrate on the $1900
DVR? I don't know about the rest of you, but for me 1000 extra bucks
to get into a Nova isn't chump change. That's a lot of bowls, pens
and candlesticks. _Is_ there a domestic (US) lathe comparable to the
Nova 3000 for a similar price? Seems that Teknatool is shutting out a
lot of potential customers who might be inclined to buy a less-pricey
"entry level" lathe and have something to move up to in the future. I
mean, if I had 2 grand to spend on a lathe I'd probably wait a little
longer and just save up for a Oneway. AAMOF, that's probably what I
will do, now.

That's like GM saying, "We make so much selling Hummers, per unit, and
they're just such a better machine that we're going to drop the Chevy,
GM and Saturn lines and just concentrate on the Hummers."

Maybe I don't know much about business, but it seems like a big ol'
"duh" to me.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Old July 13th 05, 01:31 AM
Andrew Barss

Chuck wrote:
: will do, now.

: That's like GM saying, "We make so much selling Hummers, per unit, and
: they're just such a better machine that we're going to drop the Chevy,
: GM and Saturn lines and just concentrate on the Hummers."

Well, they probably would, if it weren't for federal gas mileage
requirements. The profit margin on traditional (truck-based) SUVs is
gigantic compared to typical sedans.

-- Andy Barss
Old July 13th 05, 01:51 AM
william_b_noble

just to react to one piece of this commentary - every high end lathe I am
familiar with is belt driven - that includes Axminster, Oneway, Stubby,
Nichols, and so on - I guess I don't understand then, with one NZ company
making a "stepper motor" driven lathe, how that means that "everyone has
made their decision" - did I misunderstand?
snip

Old July 13th 05, 06:01 AM

OK guys, pay attention. I think what George is trying to say that it
is time for Teknatool to "step up to the pump" and make a more
proprietary, unrepairable, and more disposable lathe and charge too
much for it along the way. Then they WILL be like General Motors.

There will be no more of this nonsense of buying a belt, replacing a
motor or controller yourself if these and those like them have their
way. You will ship a broken machine to them or take it to their
trained monkeys at their "authorized" (read: those who paid for the
license and big bucks for someone in the shop to be trained by the
manufacturer) for repair.

Wanna upgrade the motor? Too bad. Wanna better controller? Tough.
Like Bogart said, "oh yeah? Well I"ll tell you... you'll take it and
you'll like it".

On the other hand, I think those on this group actually make up a small
percentage of the average turners. Many here, like myself are
inverterate tinkers, never leaving well enough alone. Always
experimenting, always tweaking, always trying something new. Making
tools, making finishes, trying new techniques or projects. I think of
my woodshop as Dr. Frankenstein's lab.

However, in my local woodturning club of about 60 people, there is only
one other like me. They are all bowl/platter/vase turners, and that is
it. So the machine that they buy is made for that, and that is all
they do. They are a timid lot, and don't want to take a chance at
"messing something up". So they will do nothing to change or modify
their lathes. The DVR may or may not be a valid step up for the $$$
for people, but it is probably just as good for most since the machine,
like most today, is all it will ever be when they get it. They have no
sense of exploration or Frakenstein gene, and don't care.

I think that getting rid of a mid range lathe as nice as the Teknatool
(one of the galleried turners in our club still swears by his old one)
is stupid. I am sure this is just about making more $$$ per unit, and
not a statement on the quality or drive system of lathe.

After all, others down under (I know, I know, Teknatool is in NZ and
the others are in AUS) didn't get George's memo that the decision had
been made. In addition to the lathes mentioned by Mr. Noble, there are
the wonderful Vicmarc, and the great Woodfast lathes that are still
belt driven.

Robert

Old July 13th 05, 06:17 AM
Derek Hartzell

Right Bill, they are all belt-driven except the Poolewoods which are direct
drive. Apparently there was a rift between Poolewood and the actual
manufacturer of the lathe, so they are both coming out with different
models.

Old July 13th 05, 11:07 AM
George

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
just to react to one piece of this commentary - every high end lathe I am
familiar with is belt driven - that includes Axminster, Oneway, Stubby,
Nichols, and so on - I guess I don't understand then, with one NZ company
making a "stepper motor" driven lathe, how that means that "everyone has
made their decision" - did I misunderstand?
snip

Not many pulley-driven lathes available any more. Everyone else has made
their decision, now it's time for Teknatool to do it.

Look at market share of the step pulley types are out there.

Then tell me how many have come on the market in the last five years.

Now do you understand?

Old July 13th 05, 03:04 PM
Ken Moon

-----------

Look at market share of the step pulley types are out there.
Then tell me how many have come on the market in the last five years.

Now do you understand?

==========================
Yep,
Seems like the Reeves drive is the new default drive system. However, it is
limited in it's speed ranges ( usually approx 500-2000 RPM) unless you also
have some step drive pulleys and belts to use in conjunction with it. But
putting a jack shaft into a Reeves system would be a real bear to engineer,
especially if it's a swivel head.

Ken Moon
Webbeville, TX.

Old July 13th 05, 06:24 PM
Chuck

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:31:04 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

: That's like GM saying, "We make so much selling Hummers, per unit, and
: they're just such a better machine that we're going to drop the Chevy,
: GM and Saturn lines and just concentrate on the Hummers."

Well, they probably would, if it weren't for federal gas mileage
requirements. The profit margin on traditional (truck-based) SUVs is
gigantic compared to typical sedans.

They didn't do it _before_ the nanny-state mileage requirements, why
would they yearn to do it afterward? It doesn't make sense, if you
want your company to be huge and make big profits to only cater to the
upper echelons of car (or any other big ticket items) buyers. Look at
BMW, Mercedes and other traditional luxury car manufacturers. Many of
these car makers have introduced various "entry-level" models as well
as "certified pre-owned" units to meet the tastes and slightly smaller
pocketbooks of those aspiring to grander things in the car market.