Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Silliest Way I Ever Spent 3 Hours

Watched a seminar by Cindy Drozda, and it prompted this sad attempt:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...niVessel01.jpg

Harvested Cherry, hollowed endgrain lidded box with wax finish.
Tough to turn, sand, hold or finish, and the smallest thing ever made.
2" diameter, hollowed, Yup, needed a 16" lathe for this...

FWIW

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

That is great and by far a better way to spend 3 hours than watching the
news.

Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Looks like an excellent piece of work. it would be interesting to see more
of your work. Some people will pay good money for work of this quality. So
it is not nessesarily a silly way to spend 3 hours.

Steven Raphael
http://www.geocities.com/steven_raph...turnings1.html
"Greg G." wrote in message

Watched a seminar by Cindy Drozda, and it prompted this sad attempt:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...niVessel01.jpg

Harvested Cherry, hollowed endgrain lidded box with wax finish.
Tough to turn, sand, hold or finish, and the smallest thing ever made.
2" diameter, hollowed, Yup, needed a 16" lathe for this...

FWIW

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

How about 12 hours learning G code so I could drill holes in cribbage boards
with my new up and running home built 4 axis CNC mill?

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org
"Greg G." wrote in message

Watched a seminar by Cindy Drozda, and it prompted this sad attempt:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...niVessel01.jpg

Harvested Cherry, hollowed endgrain lidded box with wax finish.
Tough to turn, sand, hold or finish, and the smallest thing ever made.
2" diameter, hollowed, Yup, needed a 16" lathe for this...

FWIW

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It must be silly, not only does the piece look good, it all makes sense to
me.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Greg G." wrote in message

Watched a seminar by Cindy Drozda, and it prompted this sad attempt:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...niVessel01.jpg

Harvested Cherry, hollowed endgrain lidded box with wax finish.
Tough to turn, sand, hold or finish, and the smallest thing ever made.
2" diameter, hollowed, Yup, needed a 16" lathe for this...

FWIW

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Art

How about sharing your experience creating your cnc machine?

Charles Friedman DDS
Ventura by the Sea
Who also knows some G and M codes!

. ..

"Greg G." wrote in message

Watched a seminar by Cindy Drozda, and it prompted this sad attempt:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...niVessel01.jpg

Harvested Cherry, hollowed endgrain lidded box with wax finish.
Tough to turn, sand, hold or finish, and the smallest thing ever made.
2" diameter, hollowed, Yup, needed a 16" lathe for this...

FWIW

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Brian said:

That is great and by far a better way to spend 3 hours than watching the
news.

Thanks, Brian. More enjoyable, for sure. And yet the news (or what
passes for it) still holds some macabre interest - if only to
determine which honorless, lying crooks to watch out for. And that is
a more than full time job these days.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Steven Raphael said:

Looks like an excellent piece of work. it would be interesting to see more
of your work. Some people will pay good money for work of this quality. So
it is not nessesarily a silly way to spend 3 hours.

Thanks, Steven. It was a lark. I've only turned a few things ( 20).
The finial was supposed to be longer and more pointed, but the wood
wouldn't cooperate. The sandpaper turned it into ragged fibres. And
at these dimensions, 600 grit leaves canyon sized grooves.
Some other things are listed in chronological order he

http://www.thevideodoc.com/pwoodw2.htm

Like I said, an utter novice. Try as I may, I still get the
occasional catch that causes the gouge to run which then provokes
impromptu "design changes".

As for people paying money, well... this is ATL.
Most are too busy trying to take it away... :-\
Probably a pipe dream, but fits nicely with my generally bad attitude
towards "the man".

FWIW

"Greg G." wrote:
Watched a seminar by Cindy Drozda, and it prompted this sad attempt:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...niVessel01.jpg

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Art Ransom said:

How about 12 hours learning G code so I could drill holes in cribbage boards
with my new up and running home built 4 axis CNC mill?

Well, business must be good. And 12 hours isn't so bad. I wouldn't
want to calculate the hours I've spent learning and discarding various
computer languages over the years. Only to end up with carpal tunnel
in my predominant hand...

As for the CNC, I haven't messed with it in years, but way back in the
late 80's, I built a small 3-axis (x/y/drill) PC board drill machine
from old 8" floppy servo motors, a homemade ISA PC Bus I/O board, and
some threaded rods, HDPE, etc. The software was written in ASM/C and
worked with the output from a DOS program called PADS. A bunch of
arrogant bubba types burned it all up, however. Haven't really messed
with it since, cause the test equipment went with it.

I have mused about turning objects with the assistance of CNC.
Woodturning presents a special set of problems that makes this
somewhat problematic - at least if you care about the surface finish.

FWIW

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate said:

It must be silly, not only does the piece look good, it all makes sense to
me.

Thanks. Better silly than evil...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tom said:

Looks great, delicate finial, big lathes can do small things just fine!

Thanks Tom. The finial was longer, but 600 grit sandpaper turned the
wood to fibres. I'm thinking cherry isn't the best choice for tiny
details. Cocabola was recommended, I just don't happen to have any
growing out back. As they continue to clear out every forest around
here, it is hard to find usable wood for free.

FWIW

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Perspective makes such a difference...
As a turner wannabe I look at those pictures and go DAMN! He's good.
That wine glass looks stunning. Amazing work man! Hope I can come
anywhere close once I get a lathe.

And, as to why I'm still a wannabe, this says it much better than I
could: "Why I don't own a lathe:
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/webreview.cfm#2

dcm

"Greg G." wrote:
Watched a seminar by Cindy Drozda, and it prompted this sad attempt:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...niVessel01.jpg

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

My mill will handle 24" by 10' spindles. Haven't updated my site for a
while but will eventually have full details. It will also function as a CNC
router with a field of 18" by 129" but the next one will handle 4" by 10'.
I will have 6K in it when completed but right now I am a month behind.
--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org
"Greg G." wrote in message

Watched a seminar by Cindy Drozda, and it prompted this sad attempt:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...niVessel01.jpg

Harvested Cherry, hollowed endgrain lidded box with wax finish.
Tough to turn, sand, hold or finish, and the smallest thing ever made.
2" diameter, hollowed, Yup, needed a 16" lathe for this...

FWIW

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Greg

Nothing silly about that Greg, and a little beauty as the outcome,
nicely done.

I have made a number of small and some real tiny turnings, some with
real thin walls and also a few boxes with inlays, they are a fun thing
to do and yes just as time consuming as large turnings.
Have a look in this album of mine, there's something of every size.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum28.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

I spent a long time Matt Home Repair 54 June 26th 05 05:22 PM
30 Hours Of Calls to UK, Western Europe & North America for just £15.99 a month David @chaplehouse.demon.co.uk UK diy 5 April 29th 04 11:18 PM
HOW DO YOU GUYS FIGURE PROFIT? Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 26 September 29th 03 01:46 AM
72 hours to acclimatise cork tiles - are they serious? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 2 August 12th 03 05:35 PM