Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G. Greg G. is offline

Default Silliest Way I Ever Spent 3 Hours

Art Ransom said:

How about 12 hours learning G code so I could drill holes in cribbage boards
with my new up and running home built 4 axis CNC mill?

Well, business must be good. And 12 hours isn't so bad. I wouldn't
want to calculate the hours I've spent learning and discarding various
computer languages over the years. Only to end up with carpal tunnel
in my predominant hand...

As for the CNC, I haven't messed with it in years, but way back in the
late 80's, I built a small 3-axis (x/y/drill) PC board drill machine
from old 8" floppy servo motors, a homemade ISA PC Bus I/O board, and
some threaded rods, HDPE, etc. The software was written in ASM/C and
worked with the output from a DOS program called PADS. A bunch of
arrogant bubba types burned it all up, however. Haven't really messed
with it since, cause the test equipment went with it.

I have mused about turning objects with the assistance of CNC.
Woodturning presents a special set of problems that makes this
somewhat problematic - at least if you care about the surface finish.

FWIW

Greg G.