Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John

Default Thai-style turnery

Here's an odd one to think about - and I'd appreciate any advice out
there.

A friend of ours - a very nice Thai lady - is about to open a small
Thai restaurant locally. SWMBO would like me to do her a
restaurant-warming present. Nothing big, just a small gesture.

I'd really like to turn something in a Thai style, but looking through
Thai stuff on the internet, I can't find anything that might fit the
bill.

Anyone have any ideas - nothing too complex as we need it soon (and
frankly my turning isn't yet all that advanced). Just some small
thing that reminds her of Thailand.

Failing a turned item, ideas for any kind of small decorative woodwork
might do - my general woodworking is reasonable and I'm not half bad
with a scrollsaw.

Turned for choice though.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Hi John, Since the restaurant is small, I assume there are only a few
tables. Perhaps an appropriately 'Thai shaped' small weed pot or bud
vase for each table. Quick and easy to turn from limbs with or without
some bark left on or even from dimension lumber and simply finished.
Not sure about fire safety insurance & codes, but small oil amps for the
tables are also quick & easy. Maybe menu or card holders; small solid
slotted forms. Honey dippers? Shallow bowl for candy or take out
menus on the counter? Plaque for her first dollar. Such do-dads depend
on how up-scale the restaurant.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Richard Stapley

John I am not sure whether there is such a thing as "Thai" style of
Woodturning?

I have often found inspiration from Pottery/Ceramics and perhaps a troll of
the Web may produce something suitable to reproduce in Wood.

You can of course concentrate on the Wood, I'm sure there are Traditional
and instantly recognisable Woods in common use in Thailand that your Friend
would recognise.

RVS
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin

Some restaurants keep business cards at the cash register. Turn a small
platter to hold them. If you are of an artistic bent, and who among us
doesn't wish they were, grab a woodburner and decorate with some Thai-like
figures. If mints are served at the end of the meal, you could turn a small
bowl to hold them. A box could be turned to hold toothpicks. How about
some napkin rings?