Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Richard Stapley

Default Thai-style turnery

John I am not sure whether there is such a thing as "Thai" style of
Woodturning?

I have often found inspiration from Pottery/Ceramics and perhaps a troll of
the Web may produce something suitable to reproduce in Wood.

You can of course concentrate on the Wood, I'm sure there are Traditional
and instantly recognisable Woods in common use in Thailand that your Friend
would recognise.

RVS
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

"John" wrote in message
Here's an odd one to think about - and I'd appreciate any advice out
there.

A friend of ours - a very nice Thai lady - is about to open a small
Thai restaurant locally. SWMBO would like me to do her a
restaurant-warming present. Nothing big, just a small gesture.

I'd really like to turn something in a Thai style, but looking through
Thai stuff on the internet, I can't find anything that might fit the
bill.

Anyone have any ideas - nothing too complex as we need it soon (and
frankly my turning isn't yet all that advanced). Just some small
thing that reminds her of Thailand.

Failing a turned item, ideas for any kind of small decorative woodwork
might do - my general woodworking is reasonable and I'm not half bad
with a scrollsaw.

Turned for choice though.

John