Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John DeBoo

Default Faceplate gloat @ Sears

I'm strooling through the clearence section this afternoon and there in
front of me are brand spanking new still boxed faceplates. I got a 4"
and an 8" for $3.97 & $5.97 respectively. Reg price, $19.99 & $25.99.
Both w/ 1"x8tpi. Pretty danged hard to beat that deal.
Grandpa John in Albuquerque
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:50:18 -0700, John DeBoo wrote:

I'm strooling through the clearence section this afternoon and there in
front of me are brand spanking new still boxed faceplates. I got a 4"
and an 8" for $3.97 & $5.97 respectively. Reg price, $19.99 & $25.99.
Both w/ 1"x8tpi. Pretty danged hard to beat that deal.
Grandpa John in Albuquerque

Not bad... what are you going to use them for?
(I used up several when i built my Vacuum system)

Are they the flat type that thread on, or the ones that have a threaded hub
attached?

We have a couple of shop teachers and some turning teachers in our club that
bring in "junque" boxes of old stuff, mostly Craftsman and Delta... free to good
home..

I'm not sure if Craftsman and Delta sold more labels, or like Harleys, they
leave more parts laying around?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

wrote:

[...]

==================
Mac,
Over the past 50 years, Sears has probably sold more tools than most anyone
else. When the Craftsman name still meant quality, their life time warranty
on hand tools meant "buy it once, use it forever". I still have hand tools I
bought back in the fifties. But with the advent of cheaper tools from Asia,
and the loss of quality in their own line, their reputation has gone WAY
down. Most folks now figure that if they can buy 3 Asian tools for the price
of 1 Craftsman, the life time warranty is not as much of a plus. They also
sold a ton of power tools, since there was a time when there were no Home
Depots or Lowes and there were Sears catalogs in every home in the country.
I remember when you could buy all the parts AND tools for a complete engine
overhaul for your car and never leave your kitchen table. Delta also had a
good reputation among tradesmen for a lot of years. That has been tarnished
in recent years, but , yeah, between the 2, they sold tons of tools and
accessories.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John DeBoo

mac davis wrote:

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:50:18 -0700, John DeBoo wrote:

I'm strooling through the clearence section this afternoon and there in
front of me are brand spanking new still boxed faceplates. I got a 4"
and an 8" for $3.97 & $5.97 respectively. Reg price, $19.99 & $25.99.
Both w/ 1"x8tpi. Pretty danged hard to beat that deal.
Grandpa John in Albuquerque

Not bad... what are you going to use them for?
(I used up several when i built my Vacuum system)

I'll do some goblets and small bowls with the 4", not sure w/ the 8".
They'll be used on a Jet Midi for the time being but the 8" might be a
bit much for it.

Are they the flat type that thread on, or the ones that have a threaded hub
attached?

One piece units with a squared threaded hub.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:05:50 -0600, John DeBoo wrote:

Not bad... what are you going to use them for?
(I used up several when i built my Vacuum system)

I'll do some goblets and small bowls with the 4", not sure w/ the 8".
They'll be used on a Jet Midi for the time being but the 8" might be a
bit much for it.

Yeah.. I would say so.. *g*
I just held a 9" disk up to the chuck on my mini and could barely get the tool
rest to slide under it..

One piece units with a squared threaded hub.

that's the type I prefer... I feel like they're more stable and you have
something besides the faceplate to grab if it's hard to unscrew...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

OT Rant: Sears Parts/Service John Moorhead Woodworking 9 July 8th 05 04:24 AM
Sears Service is HORRIBLE! [email protected] Home Repair 30 June 15th 05 01:36 PM
Sears Ace Woodworking 16 November 21st 04 05:42 PM
Sears Ace Home Repair 8 November 16th 04 07:52 PM