Ace

Default Sears

Folks, I think this is great that they would do this! I'm sure that there
are other company's out there that do this too. Just thought I'd pass it
along to our NG.

I assume you have all seen the reports about how Sears is treating its
reservist employees who are called up? By law, they are required to hold
their jobs open and available, but nothing more. Usually, people take a
big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of being called up...Sears is
voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all
benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called
up reservist employees for up to two years. I submit that Sears is an
exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution.

Suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them
why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well
deserves.

Pass it on.

So I decided to check it out before I sent it forward. I sent the
following e-mail to the Sears Customer Service Department:

I received this e-mail and I would like to know if it is true. If it is,
the Internet may have just become one very good source of advertisement
for your store. I know I would go out of my way to buy products from Sears
instead of another store for a like item even if it was cheaper at the
other store..
Here is their answer to my e-mail.......................
?

Dear Customer:

Thank you for contacting Sears.

The information is factual. We appreciate your positive feedback. Sears
regards service to our country as one of greatest sacrifices our young men
and women can make. We are happy to do our part to lessen the burden they
bear at this time.

Bill Thorn
Sears Customer Care
[
1-800-349-4358

Please pass this on to all your friends, Sears needs to be recognized for
this outstanding contribution and we need to show them as Americans, we do
appreciate what they are doing for our military

Jack Casuso

They may be "an exemplary corporate citizen" but my last experience with
them involving the purchase of a washer and dryer is exactly that MY LAST
EXPERIENCE with them. They will have to be the last place on earth where I
can buy a tool, appliance or whatever before I will buy from them and at
that, I will have to be dragged into the store kicking and screaming.

They may be doing right by their employees but their customer service sucks
big time.

"Ace" wrote in message
[...]

WoodMangler

Ace did say:

Suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them
why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well
deserves.

Planned on buying a new toolbox this month. Now I know where I'll get it.

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Rob Hall

I have given Sears lots of business. I have had very little complaint with
any customer service. I have bought a few things at Sears that needed to be
returned (not just Craftsman) and have never had a problem. They will
continue to get whatever business I have.
God bless our troops and corporations like Sears who make their lives
easier.

Rob Hall
I'm all in favor of gun control... if you don't align your sights and
squeeeeeze the trigger you won't hit a thing.
t...

"Ace" wrote in message
[...]

loutent

They may be doing right by their employees but their customer service sucks
big time.

I have to disagree. We have been shopping Sears for 40+ years, not so
much for power tools as for appliances, lawn equipment, etc.

Whenever I have had a problem, they are willing to go to the "nth"
degree to please. There have been a few times when I was really PO'd
about delivery dates, scratches, installation etc. Whatever the case
was, they have always made good - no questions asked.

As an example, a few years ago I purchased a refrigerator for my
mothers place (she is in her 80's). It was promised for delivery on a
certain date and they called the day before to tell us that they had a
2 day delay. I e-mailed their CS dept and they apologized for the
inconvenience and rebated $150 for the trouble.

This alone tells me that they have their heads screwed on right. Any
big company will have problems - it's what they do to make it right
that counts.

Hearing the OP's story simply reinforces my feelings.

Will I buy everything from Sears? Of course not.

But next time I need some stain/paint, hardware and have to decide
whether to make a right turn the BORG or left to Sears, I will
certainly consider this. (no political stuff intended!)

As far as I know, the BORG's are equally patriotic.

Makes me feel like I'm getting more for my $ than the merchandise.

This is a great country.

Lou
Mark Jerde

loutent wrote:

Whenever I have had a problem, they are willing to go to the "nth"
degree to please. There have been a few times when I was really PO'd
about delivery dates, scratches, installation etc. Whatever the case
was, they have always made good - no questions asked.

Apparently you have great local folks. I congratulate you on your good
fortune. However, yours is not the universal experience.

-- Mark

AAvK

That's all good sounding, and good for them if that is the truth,
but as far as my personal truth goes, I will shop at Sears if they
have what I am looking for and it is at the right price. There is
no "rightiousness call" that should cause me to shop at Sears
for the 'sake of supporting the company' because of their good
deeds as a reason. Logic and economics is the basis for anything
in this good land. There is no "I owe it to ya" in any American
constitutional level of freedom by ANY means.

Alex

mac davis

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:28:50 GMT, "Ace" wrote:

I wish I'd of known that a few days ago.. was in sears buying toys for
a grand kid's b-day and I would have mentioned it for sure, as a
manager helped me find what I wanted...
I have to post this, in case someone might have a gap in their
Christmas list...
Sears sells a "my first Craftsman" tool chest that is just TOO cute...
(assembly was not cute, though)
I looks like the old red roll-away and comes with several tools, nuts,
bolts, a vise, etc... It was on sale for about $25....
They also have a workbench for the same price..

[...]

AAvK

Planned on buying a new toolbox this month. Now I know where I'll get it.

Why not build your own out of white oak?

Alex

Fourleaves

I have had consistently very good service with Sears over the 25 or so years
I have done business with them and others. They are solid in my experience.
And they are an icon in my memories going back to the "Christmas Wish Book"
days of my youth. Good stuff.

"Ace" wrote in message
[...]

Lola

I assume you have all seen the reports about how Sears is treating its
reservist employees who are called up? By law, they are required to hold
their jobs open and available, but nothing more. Usually, people take a
big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of being called up...Sears is
voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all
benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called
up reservist employees for up to two years. I submit that Sears is an
exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution.

Suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them
why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well
deserves.

Pass it on.

I hate to correct you, but after a little poking around, I saw that
they do this for 60 months... 5 years instead of just 2.
Check out this article:

http://tinyurl.com/6byxk

This really is above and beyond the call of duty!
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:42:19 GMT, "Jack Casuso"
calmly ranted:

They may be "an exemplary corporate citizen" but my last experience with
them involving the purchase of a washer and dryer is exactly that MY LAST
EXPERIENCE with them. They will have to be the last place on earth where I
can buy a tool, appliance or whatever before I will buy from them and at
that, I will have to be dragged into the store kicking and screaming.

Amen, Bruddah.
My current episode with them goes something like this:

4W Sept. '04: Crapsman tool breaks. I take it into the local outlet
store where they call up and have a replacement sent direct to me at
home!

1W Oct. '04: I had taken in a 1/4" spinner, more or less a 1/4"
square-drive screwdriver with a 1/4" hole in the back for a ratchet.
They sent a 1/4" ratchet in its place. I then take it ack to the store
and ask "what's up?" They call in and find that the tool I need is no
longer made by Searz. Sorry. For the next two weeks, I try to get the
store manager and Searz National either to replace it with another
manufacturer's part OR refund my money. I point out that several other
mfgrs make them and give them the part numbers. Neither is possible
according to them. How about a gift card?

3W Oct. '04: They offered a $10 gift card and I talked them into $15.
Fine. I go to the local Searz to use it and find absolutely nothing
in the store I want. It's a small Manager-owned outlet store with
tools, appliances, TVs and sewing machines. I then drive all the way
to Medford (60 mile r/t) to the large store looking for thermal
underware (the first frost has already hit and it's getting cold).
"Sorry! We won't have those in for another month or so." I'm told.
I'm spittin' mad now.

4W Oct. '04: I send off yet another email to Searz Nat. Cust. Svc.
A gal calls and talks to me. I ask them to send that pair of long
johns to the local store. Sorry, that's an outlet store. They don't
do that.

1W Nov. '04: Can I order something from a catalog and have it sent
to me? No, they don't take gift cards plus you have to pay shipping
on it.

The bottom line: If you buy something Searz no longer makes, you're
**** outta luck. They've found one more way to end their warranty
agreement. I'm out 3 hours of time fighting with them, 75 miles of
trekking to their stores to get satisfaction, and now several months
have gone by with no luck on any point. Searz, WTF good are ya?

If I do get my money out of them, it'll be because I took the damned
card to their store and settled on something other than the several
things I originally wanted. How's that for Customer Service.

They could take some serious lessons from Lee Valley and Nordstroms.

They may be doing right by their employees but their customer service sucks
big time.

And that's IF you can get 'em to warranty what they are supposed to.

SCR*W S**RZ. Never again. (Until the next tool breaks.)

The funny thing is, it would have cost them less if they'd just bought
another manufacturer's tool and sent it to me. Mindless corporate
mentality, I swear. Feh!

--
The older I get, the better I was.
----------------------------------

Jack Casuso

Sort of similar experience but I handled it differently. After staying home
on three occasions to have a washer and drier delivered only to get called
at the last minute each time that there was something wrong with the dryer,
I called the store to cancel the order. Told I had to come in. Went there
and told that the person who could ok the cancellation was in a meeting and
would be a while, did I want to wait or come back later. No way in hell was
I going to come back later so I said I would wait. Stationed myself near
the washers and dryers. When a sales lady brought some customers over to
look at some machines. I piped up, "wouldn't buy them here" The lady
customer asked why and I told her my story. The sales lady spoke to the
salesman I had spoken with and within two minutes, my salesman came back to
me and said that the order had been cancelled and my credit card credited.
Altogether, took maybe 5 minutes. I guess some might say that was good
customer service but the customer had to make noise to get served. I know
of several people who have experienced this "so what attitude".
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

WoodMangler

AAvK did say:

Planned on buying a new toolbox this month. Now I know where I'll get it.

Why not build your own out of white oak?

Alex

You've got a long memory! That's still planned, but I want to replace an
old metal one with a similar one.

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

WoodMangler

Here's a site that lists a large number of companies that are going the
extra mile to support active duty and reservists.

http://www.coldfury.com/HF/index.html#anchor

Supposedly all verified, but YMMV. This is the internet after all.

Sears Ace Home Repair 8 November 16th 04 07:52 PM
Opinions/Flamecatcher - Craftsman Power Tools Eugene Woodworking 29 November 12th 04 04:23 AM
Sears For Central Air Conditioner KJ1 Home Repair 18 June 14th 04 05:26 AM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Repair 0 November 28th 03 09:01 PM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Ownership 0 November 28th 03 09:01 PM