Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Donald Vivian

Default Powered Respirator

Hey Everyone,

I need some advice, Several other wooodworkers, & turners, have told me
I should look into a powered respirator. I have heard good things about
the Triton brand. I was wondering are there other brands out there to
consider? And what if any certain features should I be looking for? My
main use will be for woodturning, the ocassional wodworking such as
building a bookcase or two. But mainly woodturning, I already have a
dust collector, should be called a chip collector. Still get dust all
over the garage. I dont know if it matter but I also do turn some
acrylic and corian. Any suggestions / advice would eb appreciated.

Donald Vivian
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 04:35:01 GMT, Donald Vivian
wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I need some advice, Several other wooodworkers, & turners, have told me
I should look into a powered respirator. I have heard good things about
the Triton brand. I was wondering are there other brands out there to
consider? And what if any certain features should I be looking for? My
main use will be for woodturning, the ocassional wodworking such as
building a bookcase or two. But mainly woodturning, I already have a
dust collector, should be called a chip collector. Still get dust all
over the garage. I dont know if it matter but I also do turn some
acrylic and corian. Any suggestions / advice would eb appreciated.

Donald Vivian

I'm not sure how much those powered respirators cost, and I've not
used one, but I'd suggest a regular cartridge filter mask. They're
cheap, they work well, and they continue to work while you're
finishing if you put the chemical cartridge in. I have looked at the
powered masks, but it really seems to me that while they may be
comfortable and a nice gimmick, they can't offer much real protection.

The downside to the good ol' rubber cartridge masks is that they are a
little sweaty if your shop gets hot, and they can pinch a little until
you get used to them- but they work great, even when the air is so
full of fumes and dust you can hardly see (we use them for demolition
jobs at work, and sometimes that happens)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article VdJWf.199554$sa3.66117@pd7tw1no,
Donald Vivian wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I need some advice, Several other wooodworkers, & turners, have told me
I should look into a powered respirator. I have heard good things about
the Triton brand. I was wondering are there other brands out there to
consider? And what if any certain features should I be looking for? My
main use will be for woodturning, the ocassional wodworking such as
building a bookcase or two. But mainly woodturning, I already have a
dust collector, should be called a chip collector. Still get dust all
over the garage. I dont know if it matter but I also do turn some
acrylic and corian. Any suggestions / advice would eb appreciated.

Due to some recent price cuts the Triton is a good deal, however I
don't need a hard-hat. So I went with the Trend (available from a number
of sources in the US, I don't know about Canada). Since it is a British
product, I guess it shouldn't be too hard to find.
I really like it since I have a beard (also true for the Triton) and
it allows that, which isn't true for the cartridge masks. They also
don't have a face shield (almost a requirement for turners)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan

I have a Triton and I find the suggestion that these may be regarded
as a gimmick rather foolish (unless the comment was not meant to
include such items). From my experience, their operation is excellent
(though they are on the heavier side since they also incorporate a
hard hat, ear muffs and a strong shield). I find it far more
comfortable than a cartridge filter mask as the fresh air keeps the
face cooler, so no sweat building up inside and where the mask and
face touch. The ear mufs are available to use but can be left off the
ears for turning. I use them when Arborteching. The triton shield is
much tougher then the other more compact respirators I have seen, but
that is only going to help you if a large piece of wood heads towards
your head! They redesigned the air hose and connection from the first
model and it is an improvement. It uses dual filtration, an exterior
coarse screen and two internals. The filters are not expensive and
while I don't think they recommend it, it may be possible to insert
chemical filters if you want to for finishing.

Dust is worth avoiding,
Alan

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob N

I have the Trend and could not live without it...... literally

It is a good unit and comfortable to wear.... just be sure to lift the face
shield before trying to sip your coffee

"Donald Vivian" wrote in message
Hey Everyone,

I need some advice, Several other wooodworkers, & turners, have told me
I should look into a powered respirator. I have heard good things about
the Triton brand. I was wondering are there other brands out there to
consider? And what if any certain features should I be looking for? My
main use will be for woodturning, the ocassional wodworking such as
building a bookcase or two. But mainly woodturning, I already have a
dust collector, should be called a chip collector. Still get dust all
over the garage. I dont know if it matter but I also do turn some
acrylic and corian. Any suggestions / advice would eb appreciated.

Donald Vivian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
Alan wrote:

I have a Triton and I find the suggestion that these may be regarded
as a gimmick rather foolish (unless the comment was not meant to
include such items).

Yes, there are two types of woodworkers, those that -are- sensitive to
wood-dust, and those that -will- be.

A friend was going to have to give up wood-working, until he went with a
Trend AirShield. Now all he finds he has to do is were gloves

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JimC

Reply to Prometheus-Donald Williams

I have used both paper/fiber/fabric types of single one-time dust masks
for years. I find that due to the negative pressure usage with the
replaceable canister type dust mask respirators which have canisters
available to filter out fumes, gases, very fine micron sizes of
particulates/dust like poultry dust, wood flours and dusts, lacquers,
chemicals etc.

In my later years I find that with having been found with lung diseases
and still not willing to give up on my wood working, mostly woodturning
that I have become very cautious (obsessively anal) about breathing in
dusts. I went out and got a 1 HP Delta Dust Collector which I agree
with you should be better known as a shavings collector. Right off I
noticed that my 1 HP could not create enough suction to effectively
power the surface opening provided by my new PSI's Big Gulp lathe dust
fixture. If anything happens to get fed directly into the hose it gets
readily picked up but an awful lot of big stuff makes it to the floor.
At the same time I got a Jet Overhead Dust collector and this really
dies a great job. I am disabled and no longer able to make it
downstairs to my regular shop. For the past year or so my family has
been helping me to move a small shop to a room off of my office. It
was intended to basically meet my needs to do wood turning. It's a
small 10' x 10' room with a 7' high ceiling. The Jet is intended to
circulate the air in a room twice that size. My computer is located
about 15' directly from my lathe and with the Jet Air Filter turned on
it spews tons of fresh air right into my face that has a fresh clean
small to it. My next step was to decide on a positive pressure battery
operated respirator mask. After a long discussion with the folks at
Packard Woodworks I was convinced that the Trend model was the way to
go. Sure it is not rated for dangerous and carcinogenic gases but this
mask works great. It keeps fresh cool air flowing across your head. I
normally sweat like ink but with this Trend on you can't (I can't) even
smell the wood's sawdust smell when turning. The positive air flow
pressure style masks are great. I have read a lot about the 3M styles
but at $900-$1100 I was not willing to spend that kind of money. The
Triton seems to be a few dollars less but with the ear muffs, hard hat
and battery pack hanging from your belt it jus seemed like too much. I
already have oxygen tubing to contend with and I didn't need all of
that too! I find that the respirator type masks were always getting
filled within an hour or so. My Trend has been used over four or five
three-four hour sessions and does not even show any signs of the filter
clogging. Plus there is a pre-filter and a replaceable plastic film to
protect the plastic face visor. The replacement filters don't seem to
be all that expensive given the case of how long the last. One of the
projects was to turn a baseball bat for my son's best friend and that
produced a lot of waste. I ended up that session feeling just as
refreshed and cool as when I started.

I do now plan to buy a Jet Dust Collector either a 1 1/2 HP or a 2 HP
to replace the rather anemic 1 HP Delta. Any ideas from any of you who
have finalized a well working and high performing lathe collection
system would be appreciated. I would really like to know if any of you
would recommend replacing the 1 HP Dust collector that I have with a 1
1/2 or 2 HP would be better. I have a small band saw hooked up to a 2
1/2" hose, a Shopsmith, a 1725 Delta Slow Speed Grinder with a White
Norton wheel on one size and a Fine Brite Boy 1" x 8" Cratex-style
wheel on the other side. I want to add a Chisel Sharpening System to
this, any suggestions? I will be adding a Sanding Dust Collection Table
shortly.

I hope that this helps you, Donald!

Jim C

Donald Vivian wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I need some advice, Several other wooodworkers, & turners, have told me
I should look into a powered respirator. I have heard good things about
the Triton brand. I was wondering are there other brands out there to
consider? And what if any certain features should I be looking for? My
main use will be for woodturning, the ocassional wodworking such as
building a bookcase or two. But mainly woodturning, I already have a
dust collector, should be called a chip collector. Still get dust all
over the garage. I dont know if it matter but I also do turn some
acrylic and corian. Any suggestions / advice would eb appreciated.

Donald Vivian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andrew Barss

JimC wrote:

: I do now plan to buy a Jet Dust Collector either a 1 1/2 HP or a 2 HP
: to replace the rather anemic 1 HP Delta. Any ideas from any of you who
: have finalized a well working and high performing lathe collection
: system would be appreciated. I would really like to know if any of you
: would recommend replacing the 1 HP Dust collector that I have with a 1
: 1/2 or 2 HP would be better.

If I were you, I'd go with an Oneida dust collector, with
one of their excellent cartridge filters. They recently
came out with the Gorilla line (much like their standard
systems, but with some imported parts), which
have gotten great reviews and are priced competitively.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:04:18 +1000, Alan
wrote:

[...]

Obviously a different product that I saw in action! The system I saw
was basically a little fan in a box that clips to your belt with a
thin foam filter on it, and a bit of tubing that went up to the top of
a regular-looking face sheild. Didn't seem like it was doing much for
the guy using it (his face was covered in dust and he was sneezing as
he told me how nice it was), which is where the gimmick comment came
from- it looked like it was more a way to cool your face off than
anything else. But I suppose if one of those has got all the bells &
whistles and can do the job, I'll have to concede the point. What
you're talking about sounds more like the heavy-duty industrial rigs
I've seen welders using, but I figured that was way too expensive for
most folks who are turning for a couple of hours a day in the garage,
and the OP was referring to one of the little (knockoff?) ones.

Anyhow, I'll withdraw my gimmick comment, as I wasn't aware there was
a different and better style of the things- from the way it sounded,
the guy who showed me the one I saw made it sound like it was top of
the line and state of the art.

But I'll stick with my assertion that the rubber cartidge mask does
the best job, provided you've got modest facial hair.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JimC

Dear Alan,

I have a large full beard, wear glasses and I find that the Trend fits
me fine. I did not mean to trash your idea of the use of an
inexpensive fabric mask worn by welders. I assume that such a mask
would be best suited to filtering out heavier particulates such as
might be given off during grinding beads but I question that if you are
wearing the mask to filter out carbon particulates from a carburized
flame that you would be getting as safe fitration of the multiple
filter positive pressure air filters. My main concern is that people
will wake up while they still have healthy lungs to the fact that by
spending a few dollars may well protect their health. I would hope that
others might realize that the damage that I have done by wearing
nothing at all to protect and keep my air clean over the thirty or so
years that I have been an avid woodworker as an example. At the very
least wearing the inexpensive dust masks are far superior to wearing
nothing at all. Just find some mode tro protect your lungs and use it
religiously. JimC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan

Sounds like the guy may have made the unit up from parts. The bright
orange colour is a good indication it is a Triton. Ideal if you want
someone to locate you...just look for the spaceman with the orange
helmet! If correctly assembled and used the face cannot become
covered with shavings (though you do need to remember to close the
faceshield). The outside filter is merely to remove large
contaminents, such as the fur from Banksia pods. Fines that get
through that are caught by the two cartridge filters (the same ones
used in cartridge masks).
Having fresh, clean air moving through teh mask does make it more
comfortable than a rubber mask (I have one I use sometimes as well).

One caution about the Triton if you had a curry for lunch and go out
to continue turning. The air inlet attached to the belt should not
be hanging at the base of your spine should you experience any
flatulance....think about where it ends up!
Safe turning,
Alan

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan

Jim,

My post was to add some details about the Triton powered respirator
and I didn't suggest a fabric mask as any alternative. There is no
way the two are comparable in results and I certainly would never
recommend any non-cartridge system as they just cannot be sufficient
where fine dust arises.

I heartily agree that you need as much cleaning of the air you breathe
as you can afford.

Clean breathing,
Alan

On 2 Apr 2006 13:58:42 -0700, "JimC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Alan" wrote in message
Jim,

My post was to add some details about the Triton powered respirator
and I didn't suggest a fabric mask as any alternative. There is no
way the two are comparable in results and I certainly would never
recommend any non-cartridge system as they just cannot be sufficient
where fine dust arises.

I heartily agree that you need as much cleaning of the air you breathe
as you can afford.

From the standpoint of blocking dust, cloth masks can be every bit as good
as cloth filters in a cartridge. Non-woven masks the same. You don't have
to be rich to stop dust, nor even stop all of it, merely careful to take
best advantage of the gear you wear.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George Saridakis

Hi Folks,

One thing not mentioned often is how much dust affects the eyes. I
recommend a power based respirator (I am a full time wood sculptor). I have
used an airstream for about 5 years now and would not do without it.

George

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 06:13:00 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
.. .
Jim,

My post was to add some details about the Triton powered respirator
and I didn't suggest a fabric mask as any alternative. There is no
way the two are comparable in results and I certainly would never
recommend any non-cartridge system as they just cannot be sufficient
where fine dust arises.

I heartily agree that you need as much cleaning of the air you breathe
as you can afford.

From the standpoint of blocking dust, cloth masks can be every bit as good
as cloth filters in a cartridge. Non-woven masks the same. You don't have
to be rich to stop dust, nor even stop all of it, merely careful to take
best advantage of the gear you wear.

I don't know about that, George- I've used both, and the rubber
cartridge mask blocks a lot more, IMO. But if all you've got is paper
or cloth masks, they're better than nothing- and more comfortable as
well.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan

Good point! Using the Triton, I'd forgot how cedar, among other
timbers, affected my eyes (and not just for a brief time after
turning, sometimes two days).

I am sure many turners use grinding wheel dressers and the grit that
they produce certainly should be kept out of the eyes. Completely
enclosed goggles are recommended for safety.

Safe turning,
Alan

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George Saridakis

Hi Folks,

I have found that after the "adaptation period", one gets used to wearing
whatever gear you have and that your work style/approach starts to adapt to
the new headgear. It has been so long since I started using my Airstream
that I can't remember how long it took to get used to it.

George

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 06:13:00 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
. ..
Jim,

My post was to add some details about the Triton powered respirator
and I didn't suggest a fabric mask as any alternative. There is no
way the two are comparable in results and I certainly would never
recommend any non-cartridge system as they just cannot be sufficient
where fine dust arises.

I heartily agree that you need as much cleaning of the air you breathe
as you can afford.

From the standpoint of blocking dust, cloth masks can be every bit as good
as cloth filters in a cartridge. Non-woven masks the same. You don't
have
to be rich to stop dust, nor even stop all of it, merely careful to take
best advantage of the gear you wear.

I don't know about that, George- I've used both, and the rubber
cartridge mask blocks a lot more, IMO. But if all you've got is paper
or cloth masks, they're better than nothing- and more comfortable as
well.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Donald Vivian

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the great suggestions, and you own learning experiences.
This past week I picked up the Triton, and couldnt be happier. I never
realized that sawdust can be so troublesome. I have noticed a major
improvement in the way I feel when I am done in the shop.

Well back to the lathe.

Donald Vivian