Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan

Default Powered Respirator

Good point! Using the Triton, I'd forgot how cedar, among other
timbers, affected my eyes (and not just for a brief time after
turning, sometimes two days).

I am sure many turners use grinding wheel dressers and the grit that
they produce certainly should be kept out of the eyes. Completely
enclosed goggles are recommended for safety.

Safe turning,
Alan

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:20:20 GMT, "George Saridakis"
wrote:

Hi Folks,

One thing not mentioned often is how much dust affects the eyes. I
recommend a power based respirator (I am a full time wood sculptor). I have
used an airstream for about 5 years now and would not do without it.

George

"Prometheus" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:04:18 +1000, Alan
wrote:

I have a Triton and I find the suggestion that these may be regarded
as a gimmick rather foolish (unless the comment was not meant to
include such items). From my experience, their operation is excellent
(though they are on the heavier side since they also incorporate a
hard hat, ear muffs and a strong shield). I find it far more
comfortable than a cartridge filter mask as the fresh air keeps the
face cooler, so no sweat building up inside and where the mask and
face touch. The ear mufs are available to use but can be left off the
ears for turning. I use them when Arborteching. The triton shield is
much tougher then the other more compact respirators I have seen, but
that is only going to help you if a large piece of wood heads towards
your head! They redesigned the air hose and connection from the first
model and it is an improvement. It uses dual filtration, an exterior
coarse screen and two internals. The filters are not expensive and
while I don't think they recommend it, it may be possible to insert
chemical filters if you want to for finishing.

Obviously a different product that I saw in action! The system I saw
was basically a little fan in a box that clips to your belt with a
thin foam filter on it, and a bit of tubing that went up to the top of
a regular-looking face sheild. Didn't seem like it was doing much for
the guy using it (his face was covered in dust and he was sneezing as
he told me how nice it was), which is where the gimmick comment came
from- it looked like it was more a way to cool your face off than
anything else. But I suppose if one of those has got all the bells &
whistles and can do the job, I'll have to concede the point. What
you're talking about sounds more like the heavy-duty industrial rigs
I've seen welders using, but I figured that was way too expensive for
most folks who are turning for a couple of hours a day in the garage,
and the OP was referring to one of the little (knockoff?) ones.

Anyhow, I'll withdraw my gimmick comment, as I wasn't aware there was
a different and better style of the things- from the way it sounded,
the guy who showed me the one I saw made it sound like it was top of
the line and state of the art.

But I'll stick with my assertion that the rubber cartidge mask does
the best job, provided you've got modest facial hair.