Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JimC

Default Powered Respirator

Reply to Prometheus-Donald Williams

I have used both paper/fiber/fabric types of single one-time dust masks
for years. I find that due to the negative pressure usage with the
replaceable canister type dust mask respirators which have canisters
available to filter out fumes, gases, very fine micron sizes of
particulates/dust like poultry dust, wood flours and dusts, lacquers,
chemicals etc.

In my later years I find that with having been found with lung diseases
and still not willing to give up on my wood working, mostly woodturning
that I have become very cautious (obsessively anal) about breathing in
dusts. I went out and got a 1 HP Delta Dust Collector which I agree
with you should be better known as a shavings collector. Right off I
noticed that my 1 HP could not create enough suction to effectively
power the surface opening provided by my new PSI's Big Gulp lathe dust
fixture. If anything happens to get fed directly into the hose it gets
readily picked up but an awful lot of big stuff makes it to the floor.
At the same time I got a Jet Overhead Dust collector and this really
dies a great job. I am disabled and no longer able to make it
downstairs to my regular shop. For the past year or so my family has
been helping me to move a small shop to a room off of my office. It
was intended to basically meet my needs to do wood turning. It's a
small 10' x 10' room with a 7' high ceiling. The Jet is intended to
circulate the air in a room twice that size. My computer is located
about 15' directly from my lathe and with the Jet Air Filter turned on
it spews tons of fresh air right into my face that has a fresh clean
small to it. My next step was to decide on a positive pressure battery
operated respirator mask. After a long discussion with the folks at
Packard Woodworks I was convinced that the Trend model was the way to
go. Sure it is not rated for dangerous and carcinogenic gases but this
mask works great. It keeps fresh cool air flowing across your head. I
normally sweat like ink but with this Trend on you can't (I can't) even
smell the wood's sawdust smell when turning. The positive air flow
pressure style masks are great. I have read a lot about the 3M styles
but at $900-$1100 I was not willing to spend that kind of money. The
Triton seems to be a few dollars less but with the ear muffs, hard hat
and battery pack hanging from your belt it jus seemed like too much. I
already have oxygen tubing to contend with and I didn't need all of
that too! I find that the respirator type masks were always getting
filled within an hour or so. My Trend has been used over four or five
three-four hour sessions and does not even show any signs of the filter
clogging. Plus there is a pre-filter and a replaceable plastic film to
protect the plastic face visor. The replacement filters don't seem to
be all that expensive given the case of how long the last. One of the
projects was to turn a baseball bat for my son's best friend and that
produced a lot of waste. I ended up that session feeling just as
refreshed and cool as when I started.

I do now plan to buy a Jet Dust Collector either a 1 1/2 HP or a 2 HP
to replace the rather anemic 1 HP Delta. Any ideas from any of you who
have finalized a well working and high performing lathe collection
system would be appreciated. I would really like to know if any of you
would recommend replacing the 1 HP Dust collector that I have with a 1
1/2 or 2 HP would be better. I have a small band saw hooked up to a 2
1/2" hose, a Shopsmith, a 1725 Delta Slow Speed Grinder with a White
Norton wheel on one size and a Fine Brite Boy 1" x 8" Cratex-style
wheel on the other side. I want to add a Chisel Sharpening System to
this, any suggestions? I will be adding a Sanding Dust Collection Table
shortly.

I hope that this helps you, Donald!

Jim C

Donald Vivian wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I need some advice, Several other wooodworkers, & turners, have told me
I should look into a powered respirator. I have heard good things about
the Triton brand. I was wondering are there other brands out there to
consider? And what if any certain features should I be looking for? My
main use will be for woodturning, the ocassional wodworking such as
building a bookcase or two. But mainly woodturning, I already have a
dust collector, should be called a chip collector. Still get dust all
over the garage. I dont know if it matter but I also do turn some
acrylic and corian. Any suggestions / advice would eb appreciated.

Donald Vivian