Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gary Pearse

Default Trend Airshield or JSP Powercap?

I'm in the market for a powered respirator and these two seem to be the main
options currently available in the UK. Anyone care to express an opinion?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
"Gary Pearse" wrote:

I'm in the market for a powered respirator and these two seem to be the main
options currently available in the UK. Anyone care to express an opinion?

I went with the Trend and dont' regret it a bit

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 18:24:00 -0000, "Gary Pearse"
wrote:

I'm in the market for a powered respirator and these two seem to be the main
options currently available in the UK. Anyone care to express an opinion?

I bought one when it was still a 3M product, before it was sold to
Trend. Excellent piece of equipment. I rewired it so I could slip in
new rechargeable batteries -- a very simple job with a couple of Radio
Shack parts (cheap). Get some of those plastic covers for the shield
as it will get spotted with finish, sap and *GASP* LDD!

Leif
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Gooch

Only caution I would urge is; if you have any neck problems then whatever
you get make sure it's on a trial basis so you can take it back. I found
the extra weight, although very light, bothered me.

--
Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charles jones

Hi,

The Trend Airshield that I use is superb. I would advise the purchase of an
extra battery pack in order that you don't take risks of lung damage when
the first one goes flat and some tear-offs so that good visibility is
maintained now and for the future. The only caution I have is that if you
have a very wide head it would be uncomfortable after a short period.
Together with my Microclene filter I enjoy turning in a much safer
environment. Remember, Robert Sorby, Ashley Iles and Hamlet make excellent
tools, but are unable to supply spare lungs!

Charlie

"Gary Pearse" wrote in message
I'm in the market for a powered respirator and these two seem to be the
main
options currently available in the UK. Anyone care to express an opinion?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JimC

Dear Gary,

After several months of researching dust protection, I have a Lung
Disease from breathing all of the sawdust over a 40 year span in
woodworking unprotected from dust wil bring. I firsdty purchased a
Delta 1 HP Dust Collector for my small 10' x 10' x 7' ceiling shop. I
added a Jet Dust Filtration system and by that time the Trend Unit
seemed the only way to go. The other unit in this price range has a
hard hat, ear protectors plus require one to war the filter on one's
belt. I already wear Oxygen 24/7 and didn't need another "something"
dangling from my head. I have a very full beard and and really big
head so I was somewhat skeptical of ordering it but finally I spoke
with a very nice fewllow from Packward Woodworks in Tryon, NC who told
me to order one and try it. If it just would not work for me to simply
return it. Well I got it and I must admit that I must be at the upper
limits of it's fitting limit. But the air moves well. I have always
sweat like a pig when I'm working and I must say that the light
constant breeze from the Trend Airshield offers a very refreshing
breeze that helps keep my face cool. It filters the air so well that I
can't even smell the wood enough to tell whether it is walnut or oak
that I'm working on. All in all I am VERY Satisfied with the unit.
The only regret that I have is that the company does not supply two
batteries with the unit instead of just one. And I wish that it were a
bit more roomier through the heaband and neck filtering area.

JimC

Trend Perfect Butt Gary Dean Woodworking 16 October 20th 05 01:55 PM
Trend Airshield? AlexW UK diy 16 October 10th 05 08:23 AM
trend airshield and CA glue A Warning ! RandyD Woodturning 2 September 10th 05 09:27 PM
Trend Airshield revisited whateverwood Woodworking 5 November 27th 04 03:21 AM
workshop vac, Trend T30AF or Fein QA35E? Marcel Jansen UK diy 1 May 10th 04 09:23 PM