whateverwood

Default Trend Airshield revisited

Concerning nasal/lung/airway protection. The Trend Airshield has been
around for at least 9 months now. Has anyone here had any long term
experience with this product? How well does the filter work?

Per their literatu

"The filter is tested against Sodium Chloride aerosol 0.02 to 2 micron with
a mass median particle size of 0.6 micron. For use against solid and water
based aerosols only."

How does this compare with N95 type filter elements?

I like the fit and comfort of the AOSafety CoolMax filters, but it would be
nice to keep the sawdust out of my eyes and tear ducts.

I could try putting a filter mask over my eyes, but it may hinder the
accuracy of my cuts.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ww.newbie

rick

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 03:04:40 -0800, "whateverwood"
calmly ranted:

Concerning nasal/lung/airway protection. The Trend Airshield has been
around for at least 9 months now. Has anyone here had any long term
experience with this product? How well does the filter work?

That 70db motor is going to be a bit noisy when the equipment is off
but the dust is still in the air. Look at their replacement parts
prices, too. Not exactly cheap. I bet you'd have at least $500 tied up
in that mask system within 5 years. Health is invaluable, but that's
maintainable for a lot less money.

Per their literatu

"The filter is tested against Sodium Chloride aerosol 0.02 to 2 micron with
a mass median particle size of 0.6 micron. For use against solid and water
based aerosols only."

How does this compare with N95 type filter elements?

Close. It's hard to tell. The NIOSH standards are writtern to match
existing filtering materials, and those all vary in description.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/respguid.html Does this help?

I like the fit and comfort of the AOSafety CoolMax filters, but it would be
nice to keep the sawdust out of my eyes and tear ducts.

I could try putting a filter mask over my eyes, but it may hinder the
accuracy of my cuts.

Get a full-face shield instead. $6-$12 at HF and other stores.
I bought the AO Safety Pro faceshield at HF and the lexan is nice
and shatterproof.

Any other suggestions?

For that price, you can buy several CASEs of the CoolMax filters (or
a $25 half-face cannister respirator for solvent/finish fumes) and add
the face shield. Also think about going to N98, N99, or N100 filters
for just a few dollars more.

--------------------------------------
PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience
www.diversify.com - Web Database Development

mp

Any other suggestions?

http://courses.dce.harvard.edu/~csci...-surgery_3.jpg

Remote woodworking from the comfort of your favourite living room chair.

whateverwood

Cool! I'll add this to my Xmas list right away. Do you think Rockler
stocks that?

"mp" wrote in message
Any other suggestions?

http://courses.dce.harvard.edu/~csci...-surgery_3.jpg

Remote woodworking from the comfort of your favourite living room chair.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:09:28 -0800, "whateverwood"
calmly ranted:

Thanks Larry! Those are all good points. Guess I'll take that off my Xmas
list.

If you want a supplied-air mask, look or Ebay or in local dive shops
(if you live near a body of water) for used portable diving
compressors. They'd probably be cheaper.

Running around tied to a hose isn't my idea of fun in the shop.