AlexW

Default Trend Airshield?

Being an asthmatic and having very limited space for
extraction/filtering equipment (although I do have a basic vac powered
system) I have been considering splashing out for an Airshield, but ...

o Do they work?
o Are they worth the money?
o Are there any other alternarives? Better? Cheaper or with cheaper
filters?

I am concerned mainly about cutting, routing and sanding soft & hard
woods & esp. /MDF/.

TIA,

Alex.
Aidan

AlexW wrote:
Being an asthmatic and having very limited space for
extraction/filtering equipment (although I do have a basic vac powered

o Are there any other alternarives? Better? Cheaper or with cheaper
filters?

I am concerned mainly about cutting, routing and sanding soft & hard
woods & esp. /MDF/.

DIY? Lots of info here.
http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

AlexW

Aidan wrote:
AlexW wrote:

Being an asthmatic and having very limited space for
extraction/filtering equipment (although I do have a basic vac powered

o Are there any other alternarives? Better? Cheaper or with cheaper
filters?

I am concerned mainly about cutting, routing and sanding soft & hard
woods & esp. /MDF/.

DIY? Lots of info here.
http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Thanks ...

The Airshield (full face mask) idea was to filter out the the stuff that
does not get collected (and later trapped) through dust ports etc and
also for portable working.

Currently I have an Earlex vac and "triton dust bucket" with filter, not
a proper cyclone, but the issue is what is not getting collected, not
what is.

I have tried various masks from say £3 to £15 range and none really fit
my (apparently non standard) face, hence the Airshield idea.

Cheers,

Alex.
Andy Hall

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:19:46 +0100, AlexW
wrote:

Aidan wrote:
AlexW wrote:

[...]

I tried one out some while ago and found that it was heavy for long
term use - i.e. you wouldn't want to wear it all day. It would
probably be OK for 30 mins to an hour at a time.

Bill Pentz's site is good, as Aidan says.

Another thing that you could do is to make a downdraught table either
with a reasonable extractor with at least 100mm hose, or with a large
fan and filter. There are numerous plans around for these.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Chris Bacon

AlexW wrote:
I have tried various masks from say £3 to £15 range and none really fit
my (apparently non standard) face, hence the Airshield idea.

An air helmet is a very good thing, but I don't know about
this particular one.

AlexW

wrote:

Aidan wrote:

AlexW wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info...

An hour at a time should be OK ... I guess if you use one often enough
the neck muscles would get used to it.

I'll bear the cyclone and downdraft table in mind for when I get a space
(& time thinking about it) upgrade!

Alex.
AlexW

Chris Bacon wrote:
AlexW wrote:

I have tried various masks from say £3 to £15 range and none really
fit my (apparently non standard) face, hence the Airshield idea.

An air helmet is a very good thing, but I don't know about
this particular one.

Cheers, any other brands in mind?

Alex.
Andy Hall

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 16:12:47 +0100, AlexW
wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:
AlexW wrote:

I have tried various masks from say £3 to £15 range and none really
fit my (apparently non standard) face, hence the Airshield idea.

An air helmet is a very good thing, but I don't know about
this particular one.

Cheers, any other brands in mind?

Alex.

There's the Powercap (Rutlands has these). I tried one of these for
a short time and it was really uncomfortable because all the weight is
at the front.

There are alternatives that can be run from an airline via a special
filter at about the same price point. Have a look at
www.thorite.co.uk for details of some.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Brian Sharrock

"AlexW" wrote in message
Being an asthmatic and having very limited space for extraction/filtering
equipment (although I do have a basic vac powered system) I have been
considering splashing out for an Airshield, but ...

o Do they work?
o Are they worth the money?
o Are there any other alternarives? Better? Cheaper or with cheaper
filters?

I am concerned mainly about cutting, routing and sanding soft & hard woods
& esp. /MDF/.

TIA,

I have one: after suffering through attempts at wearing dust-masks
and safety-specs cum goggles. IMHO - as a spectacles-wearer -
all other systems caused my glasses to mist up and my overheating due
to dust filters causing me to use rebreathe warmed air.
The airshield eliminates all of thos problems. The device draws in and
filters
air which blows own across the face. One doesn't overheat -at all- and seem
able
to work for extended periods with much less fatigue. I can wear normal
spectacles which don't mist up. I don't know whether it's a peculiar design
fault
of me -but I find that sweat running into my eyes cuases my eyes to bring
floods of tears and I have to halt working until I've wiped my eyes...
no such problem with the Airshield . No sweat, no tears.
I've used it for woodwork and sinking chases in brick work with SDS drill.

Are they worth the money ... ? the _utility_ of mine is invaluable [IMHO]
are there other altenatives ...? Triton have bought out a product aimed at
the
same market ... but as it came out after I'd purchased my Trend model I've
not studied it.

Would I bw without mine ... ? No way.Jose!

I wouldn't like to wear one all day - but IMHO one doesn't work
continuosly in that mode -there's always a setting up, measuring, mode
before switching ON dust producing machinery ... and if you're feeling
that the mask is getting heavy ... that's Nature's way of telling you to
have a tea-break.

The bag /protector is useless , IMHO. When mine is not in use, it 'lives' in
a TuffteeCrate(sp?) all by itself - filters, chargers, battery cleaning
clothes.

HTH

John Rumm

Brian Sharrock wrote:

of me -but I find that sweat running into my eyes cuases my eyes to bring
floods of tears and I have to halt working until I've wiped my eyes...

A PITA if you wear glasses as well I find - you can guarentee that sweat
will fall from your brow onto the inside of your specs.

The best solution I have found is a tennis player style headband. It
works well at controling leakage and also fits under most saftey gear.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

There are alternatives that can be run from an airline via a special
filter at about the same price point. Have a look at
www.thorite.co.uk for details of some.

Do you need a completely oil free air supply for these?

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 20:45:41 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

There are alternatives that can be run from an airline via a special
filter at about the same price point. Have a look at
www.thorite.co.uk for details of some.

Do you need a completely oil free air supply for these?

You use either a wall mounted or belt mounted filter/regulator with
carbon filter. Obviously you don't want to feed it with air that has
gone through an additional lubricator.

Some of the masks come complete with FRU.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ian Stirling

AlexW wrote:
Being an asthmatic and having very limited space for
extraction/filtering equipment (although I do have a basic vac powered
system) I have been considering splashing out for an Airshield, but ...

o Do they work?
o Are they worth the money?
o Are there any other alternarives? Better? Cheaper or with cheaper
filters?

I am concerned mainly about cutting, routing and sanding soft & hard
woods & esp. /MDF/.

I also have the same problem.
On occasion, I have solved it rather differently.

Simply take a 10m bit of hosepipe.
Site input of hosepipe in a clean place.
Put a sock over the end. (clean) (spiders are bad).
Insert other end into bit of 10mm copper tube bent round head, to form
secure anchor.
Add bit of silicone pipe at the end, and insert into mouth.
Breath in through nose, out through mouth.
Combined with a belt-clip to keep the hose in place, works for me.

You can upgrade this by using a blower at the other end.
Brian Sharrock

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

There are alternatives that can be run from an airline via a special
filter at about the same price point. Have a look at
www.thorite.co.uk for details of some.

Do you need a completely oil free air supply for these?

You use either a wall mounted or belt mounted filter/regulator with
carbon filter. Obviously you don't want to feed it with air that has
gone through an additional lubricator.

Some of the masks come complete with FRU.

--

.andy

Surely the point about the Airsheild - and it's cousins- is the
portability of the device. One can wear it anywhere; in the graden,
in the garage, workshop, in the attic; wherever he work is to be
accomplished.
AIUI, you're advocating a fixed - workstation- specific solution?

--

Brian

Andy Hall

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 07:01:30 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

There are alternatives that can be run from an airline via a special
filter at about the same price point. Have a look at
www.thorite.co.uk for details of some.

Do you need a completely oil free air supply for these?

You use either a wall mounted or belt mounted filter/regulator with
carbon filter. Obviously you don't want to feed it with air that has
gone through an additional lubricator.

Some of the masks come complete with FRU.

--

.andy

Surely the point about the Airsheild - and it's cousins- is the
portability of the device. One can wear it anywhere; in the graden,
in the garage, workshop, in the attic; wherever he work is to be
accomplished.
AIUI, you're advocating a fixed - workstation- specific solution?

It depends on the application and location.

My point about the Trend one is that it is quite heavy with the weight
over the front of the head. As I mentioned, for me it was
uncomfortable after a while, starting to cause neck ache. Others
mileage may vary.

There are others with a fan and battery pack on a belt such as the
Triton which also has an ear defender

http://www.triton.net.au/products/resp.html

or

https://secure.thorite.co.uk/Product...stem_1448.html

I tend to do sanding and cutting operations in or close to the
workshop, and have compressed air available so thought along those
lines, hence suggesting air fed products as alternatives.

The other advantage is that they are also useful for many types of
chemical vapour applications, which the more portable products are
not.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Brian Sharrock

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 07:01:30 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

There are alternatives that can be run from an airline via a special
filter at about the same price point. Have a look at
www.thorite.co.uk for details of some.

Do you need a completely oil free air supply for these?

You use either a wall mounted or belt mounted filter/regulator with
carbon filter. Obviously you don't want to feed it with air that has
gone through an additional lubricator.

Some of the masks come complete with FRU.

--

.andy

Surely the point about the Airsheild - and it's cousins- is the
portability of the device. One can wear it anywhere; in the graden,
in the garage, workshop, in the attic; wherever he work is to be
accomplished.
AIUI, you're advocating a fixed - workstation- specific solution?

It depends on the application and location.

I'll parse that as 'Yes'; you are advocating a workstation/location
specific solution1

My point about the Trend one is that it is quite heavy with the weight
over the front of the head. As I mentioned, for me it was
uncomfortable after a while, starting to cause neck ache. Others
mileage may vary.

Actually, experience indicate that the weight isn't a problem;
it's very well balanced and IME the tendency is to wip it on and off
the head during set up and measuring times. A Neck ache is simply
Natures way of telling you to have a tea-break - this is D-I-Y, not
a HSE employee-ergonomic eight-hour shift workstation set up
[BTW, the Airsheild comes with an impresive set of documentation,
log sheets and maintenance record paperwork along with a
air-flow GO/NO Go guage for use in an employee situation].

There are others with a fan and battery pack on a belt such as the
Triton which also has an ear defender

http://www.triton.net.au/products/resp.html

My original response referred to the TRITON device, but explained that
I'd already acquired the Airshield prior to the debut of the Oz variant
so hadn't studied it nor could I pass any comments. I acquired the Airshield
when I re-modelled the Kitchen, I used it when sinking a phenomenal number
of twin-gang electical outlets into the brick walls and machineing the raw
sawn
maple into cabinets . I drilled, chiselled, chased, sawed, planed, sanded,
jigsawed and routed using every tool that I'd got. The airshield kept me
cool,
dust free and able to wear my glasses ... and more importantly enabled me to
continue working for longer periods without pause - and even more
importantly
without consideration as to 'where' I was. I've since worn it in the roof
space
while the VELUX lights were installed. Having worn it, I wouldn't be without
it ...
it's a 'lot of money' ... but I don't mind looking like 'Dan Dare' ... if I
could
only dfind my old 'Eagle' badge ... : )

or

https://secure.thorite.co.uk/Product...stem_1448.html

I tend to do sanding and cutting operations in or close to the
workshop, and have compressed air available so thought along those
lines, hence suggesting air fed products as alternatives.

Regretably my sanding and cutting operations tend to occur
on the lawn or patio ... and in the loft ... under the stairs ... wherever
.... :0

The other advantage is that they are also useful for many types of
chemical vapour applications, which the more portable products are
not.

Sounds like a strawman arguement ... nobody mentioned such usage ...

--

Brian

AlexW

Brian Sharrock wrote:

[...]