Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kip

Default Craft shows-credit card processors

I do a few craft shows a year, currently on a cash/check only basis.
I'd like to try credit card sales: does anyone know of a low (or
better yet no) monthly fee processor?? TIA

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John \(NC\)

A Good place to get your answer is from other crafters by posting the
question to .

John

"Kip" wrote in message
oups.com...
I do a few craft shows a year, currently on a cash/check only basis.
I'd like to try credit card sales: does anyone know of a low (or
better yet no) monthly fee processor?? TIA

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Kip" wrote in message
oups.com...
I do a few craft shows a year, currently on a cash/check only basis.
I'd like to try credit card sales: does anyone know of a low (or
better yet no) monthly fee processor?? TIA

Short answer - no. Less you sell, higher the percentage to the CC company.
I still don't understand why people don't bring money to a show, unless it's
to avoid overspending. Lot of small-timers out there, even at big shows.
They tend to have better prices for the same quality, too.

On the plus side, though I'm in a fairly traditional-values area, I have
collected one bad check in twenty years of selling.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Don

We have our acct active from May-Dec. and deactivate our cc Acct.
for a fee of 10.00/month while in winter mode. All sales are check or
cash during that period. of Jan-April. Only had one sale lost in four
years. Ask around we found a very large difference in fees and
service. We bought our terminal instead of renting ( deductable)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Don

2nd comment--Our sales went up 1/3 and $$/sale avg. went up .
We found with hand writing the sales slips at the point of sale with
small displays of cc's in the booth and getting proper id and taking
our time in doing the slips with the pin nr# on the back and proper
zip and not rushing and getting the correct card nr. we have had
again only one card rejected as we do not have debit card auth.
at point of sale as it takes a pin nr from the cust to auth it, Then
processing all the cards in one batch when we get to a phone
connection. I belive that when people see what we do to prevent
bad cards/stolden cards being used on us it has prevented several bad
accts being impulsvily used. I have overheard them talking and
backing out of bringing something to the cash reg. I was able to
contact the cust with the debit card we had rung thru and she made it
good on on snail mail .. good luck.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George Saridakis

Hi Kip,

I have used ACBS/Teamac for about 6-7 years now and still think they are a
good (NO BS) company to deal with. I started off with a knuckle buster for
shows with a dial up machine for the motel/home to upload the scripts -
$5/month plus the purchase ($500? for the Tranz 330 and merchant account
setup). Business was up at least 30% on a yearly basis once I started
accepting CC.

Most shows I do now, 90+% of sales are CC. My work is artistic/semi
functional - http://www.saridakis.com/

My current Verifone 610 is wireless and uses Verizon's cell phone network -
$1100 purchase price and $27.50/mth for merchant account and cell
connection. Bonus is authorization is done at card swipe time. I can and
do use it for gallery purchases with card numbers over the phone - again -
instant authorization.

Ask for Guy MacDonald at Teamac.

WARNING WARNING WARNING - contacting merchant account vendors you find with
internet searches can be risky and hazardous to your financial health. I
first came across ACBS/Teamac in Wendy Rosen's "Crafting as a Business" book
and compared to what I found in internet searches, they are a different
breed.

Good luck with your business
George

"Kip" wrote in message
oups.com...
I do a few craft shows a year, currently on a cash/check only basis.
I'd like to try credit card sales: does anyone know of a low (or
better yet no) monthly fee processor?? TIA

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

Kip, I started with credit cards over the internet way back in 1995. Most
banks laughed at me, but oddly enough, as a last resort I checked my local
bank where I already had an account. Not only did they give me the best
rate, they did not have a problem with this new thing called the internet.

There is not going to be any such thing as free. But, it is worth the
expense if you can find something reasonable. My sales went up
significantly when I started taking credit cards. You have to weigh your
expenses against your expected volume increase, and then reevaluate from
time to time. I also take PayPal now, which gives me business I would not
otherwise get. Some complain about their percentage, but part of some sales
is better than all of no sale.

We (SWMBO and I) take a laptop and a cell phone to shows. We can print out
an invoice on the spot, and call in the card to make sure it is good before
the customer leaves the booth. People seem to appreciate the professional
appearance.

Good luck with it.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com
www.enter.net/~ultradad

"Kip" wrote in message
oups.com...
I do a few craft shows a year, currently on a cash/check only basis.
I'd like to try credit card sales: does anyone know of a low (or
better yet no) monthly fee processor?? TIA

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
AlohaCliff

Kip,

Go to Costco..they have one of the lowest price services around. You
can get a terminal, or use a laptop. I've used them and had no
problems.

Cliff