Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default An innocent at Harbor Freight... musing too far outside the box?

Did hard time trying to separate the bargains from the junk at Harbor
Freight this morning. Met a pool cue maker who was buying a lathe for
sanding & polishing only. He gave me the cast iron outboard extension.
(gloat) It's 8" overall, 5" ways plus 3" gap and is quite heavy. I plan
to use a junked banjo that will hold a 1" tool post and turn some 'big
platters'. Should I bolt it in line with the bed of my N3k (180 deg.
headstock swivel) or a right angle (90 deg. swivel) to it? How much
increased swing greater than a N3k's 16" should I consider safe for
turning platters?

Hundred pound lift magnetic grounding blocks on sale at H.F. today.
Mused about welding (would it destroy the magnetism?) a spindle nut or
holding with a bolt in a Jacob's chuck or securing a MT2 arbor to the
top. Then by screwing a 1/4" slice of 3" CRS bar to a wood blank hold
the blank on the spindle via the magnet. Eureka! A permanent magnet
'knockoff' of a vacuum chuck? If you can stop laughing (or gagging)
long enough and _nevermind_ whether my 'magnetic chuck' is any better or
worse than faceplates or a dozen other work holding methods, tell me if
you _think it might work, forgetting safety and usefulness and all that
other unimportant stuff.
Caution: THIS A DANGEROUSLY INVALID QUESTION AND NOT A SUGGESTION. DO
_NOT_ TRY IT

Been asked to turn several 'artistic' copies of coconuts... don't know
why the real & natural nut (no, not me!) isn't preferable? I thought to
turn an oblong sphere with one end blunted and carve the natural
details, but I've never done this. Saw a arbortech (blade) and a
Lancelot (chain) at H.F., each about the same price. If using one of
these is a good idea what are your comparisons re safety, utility, etc.?
If neither is a good idea, how should I carve a faux coconut?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal

In article ,
(Arch) wrote:

How much
increased swing greater than a N3k's 16" should I consider safe for
turning platters?

What is your drive system? How slow can it go? The slower it can go, the
bigger you can get away with. Try this simple test - make up a big
platter blank, and mount it. Set your lathe on slow. Turn it on. Are you
scared? Too big, cut it smaller, repeat until you are not scared. That
size will work. This method does depend on certain self-preservation
instincts and common sense - if you lack those, you might be in trouble,
but turning is hardly the only place you'll be in trouble. Odds are,
having earned (and lived to) the O in COC, Arch will be fine.

Hundred pound lift magnetic grounding blocks on sale at H.F. today.
Mused about welding (would it destroy the magnetism?) a spindle nut or

Welding or other high heat destroys magnetism, and this tain't a useful
variant anyway, IMO. Plus, you might be amazed how much stuff can slide
around while being magnetically grabbed, when you start pushing tools
into it. Fugedaboutit.

Been asked to turn several 'artistic' copies of coconuts...

details, but I've never done this. Saw a arbortech (blade) and a
Lancelot (chain) at H.F., each about the same price.

Either one can bite you, but I'd prefer the arbortech, as it loses one
failure mode (broken chain). Then again, a carving chisel/gouge might be
the better option. Frankly, I like the stuff some folks turn from either
the shell of the nut (might be more sanding than turning) or the palm
trunk, and share your lack of attraction for a wooden nut replica...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Ecnerwal" wrote: (clip) Plus, you might be amazed how much stuff can
slide around while being magnetically grabbed, when you start pushing tools
into it. Fugedaboutit.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. If, somehow, you get a magnet strong enough to prevent
slipping, how will you get it off or adjust the position when you need to so
so deliberately? Those magnetic dial gauge holders are provided with a
lever that is connedted to some sort of release mechanism inside.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Thanks Ec. and Leo, Shot down again, but I enjoyed my nanosecond of
fame and I'm glad I didn't buy the grounding block. I probably couldn't
get the blank off the magnet and like 'Charlie beneath the streets of
Boston on the MTA" they would go round forever.

Oh well, a controlled magnetic slide & release mechanism might be the
basis for a new sliding oval chuck. It'll be less noisy and I'll be
famous again for the picosecond .... until it explodes! Wonder how many
successful inventors hear my footsteps? Eh, don't answer that.

Actually, I would appreciate some advice and info re comparisons of
Lancelots and Arbotechs by anyone using them. Also some advice on how to
make artsy green coconuts, if anyone has done so. Probably similar to
apples, pears and such, but before I get started, it's best to ask.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Arch" wrote in message
Thanks Ec. and Leo, Shot down again, but I enjoyed my nanosecond of
fame and I'm glad I didn't buy the grounding block. I probably couldn't
get the blank off the magnet and like 'Charlie beneath the streets of
Boston on the MTA" they would go round forever.

No worry, you would have thrown them away in disgust after trying to weld
them. Exotic alloys featuring nickle, cobalt and rare earths would have
done some spectacular stuff under a flame. Remember your chemistry labs?

I presume they want the husked coconut look? Coat the real thing in resin.

Carbide burrs and die grinders for me. They remove flesh slower.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ebd

Arch,

My understanding of the specs for the Nova 3000 is an outboard swing of
23". I once did a 16" platter, outboard on my old Delta Homecraft (10"
swing). The slowest speed was something like 875 rpm and the wind
generated was something. The 3K gets down to 250 rpm so I bet 23" is
not a problem if the blank isn't too out of true.

Larry

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

George, The grounding blocks have a removable steel shroud or cap. I
had wondered about welding a fitment to it. The faux coconuts are for a
'fern room' to look like the green nuts as they are taken from the tree.
Why?...Because! Go figure the nouveau riche and their interior
decorators. Like taste. in matters of wealth there is no dispute.

Larry, My N3k is VS and can start near zero rpm. I reckon you are
right. I should be ok staying within the specs for using the Nova
outboard toolrest. They seem overpriced to me and I had tried to buy a
used one plus an extra toolrest. Anyone?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 10 Feb 2006 04:34:44 -0800, "ebd" wrote:

Arch,

My understanding of the specs for the Nova 3000 is an outboard swing of
23". I once did a 16" platter, outboard on my old Delta Homecraft (10"
swing). The slowest speed was something like 875 rpm and the wind
generated was something. The 3K gets down to 250 rpm so I bet 23" is
not a problem if the blank isn't too out of true.

Larry

I did a 13" blank on my Jet 1442 last night... min speed is about 450, which was
nice enough for cutting the tenon and stuff, but when it came to truing the
outside edge it got pretty interesting... felt like I was at buffing speed..

Mac
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"mac davis" wrote in message

I did a 13" blank on my Jet 1442 last night... min speed is about 450,
which was
nice enough for cutting the tenon and stuff, but when it came to truing
the
outside edge it got pretty interesting... felt like I was at buffing
speed..

Finished turned a 15+ platter on the 3000 last night. Seemed a bit jumpy,
then when I finished I noticed I was at 650. Oh well, after some of the
pieces I worked on Ol' Blue at 688 minimum, I guess I don't pucker as
tightly any more.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John W

Finished turned a 15+ platter on the 3000 last night. Seemed a bit jumpy,
then when I finished I noticed I was at 650. Oh well, after some of the
pieces I worked on Ol' Blue at 688 minimum, I guess I don't pucker as
tightly any more.

...it just goes to show ya' speed is relative...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Arch
I have turned 18" platters on my Craftsman and the minimum speed is 400 rpm.
I think I was turning about 800 but I no longer know for sure. My largest on
the Record bowl lathe was 18" and its lowest speed is 575 rpm. Record says
you can turn up to 24" and used to say up to 36", I believe. I am neither
24" stupid nor certainly not 36" crazy. :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

As examples that aren't quite comparable, (Stubby has a different
approach with its movable bed) I think the Stubby has a 90 deg, to the
headstock bolt on short bed and the Oneway has a 180 deg. outboard bed
extension. Also some of you have probably cobbled your own versions. How
about some opinions, corrections and advice as where best to put my 8"
bed extension (omitting bathroom humor just this once). I could add it
to my swivel head N3k or to my fixed head "old Delta".

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:46:29 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

I did a 13" blank on my Jet 1442 last night... min speed is about 450,
which was
nice enough for cutting the tenon and stuff, but when it came to truing
the
outside edge it got pretty interesting... felt like I was at buffing
speed..

Finished turned a 15+ platter on the 3000 last night. Seemed a bit jumpy,
then when I finished I noticed I was at 650. Oh well, after some of the
pieces I worked on Ol' Blue at 688 minimum, I guess I don't pucker as
tightly any more.

damn.. that outside rim must have been playing centrifuge!

Mac