Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default An innocent at Harbor Freight... musing too far outside the box?

Did hard time trying to separate the bargains from the junk at Harbor
Freight this morning. Met a pool cue maker who was buying a lathe for
sanding & polishing only. He gave me the cast iron outboard extension.
(gloat) It's 8" overall, 5" ways plus 3" gap and is quite heavy. I plan
to use a junked banjo that will hold a 1" tool post and turn some 'big
platters'. Should I bolt it in line with the bed of my N3k (180 deg.
headstock swivel) or a right angle (90 deg. swivel) to it? How much
increased swing greater than a N3k's 16" should I consider safe for
turning platters?

Hundred pound lift magnetic grounding blocks on sale at H.F. today.
Mused about welding (would it destroy the magnetism?) a spindle nut or
holding with a bolt in a Jacob's chuck or securing a MT2 arbor to the
top. Then by screwing a 1/4" slice of 3" CRS bar to a wood blank hold
the blank on the spindle via the magnet. Eureka! A permanent magnet
'knockoff' of a vacuum chuck? If you can stop laughing (or gagging)
long enough and _nevermind_ whether my 'magnetic chuck' is any better or
worse than faceplates or a dozen other work holding methods, tell me if
you _think it might work, forgetting safety and usefulness and all that
other unimportant stuff.
Caution: THIS A DANGEROUSLY INVALID QUESTION AND NOT A SUGGESTION. DO
_NOT_ TRY IT

Been asked to turn several 'artistic' copies of coconuts... don't know
why the real & natural nut (no, not me!) isn't preferable? I thought to
turn an oblong sphere with one end blunted and carve the natural
details, but I've never done this. Saw a arbortech (blade) and a
Lancelot (chain) at H.F., each about the same price. If using one of
these is a good idea what are your comparisons re safety, utility, etc.?
If neither is a good idea, how should I carve a faux coconut?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter