Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

Default Newsreaders

Not being familiar with these services like Yahoo DSL and the like,
where other people are having problems reading newsgroups, is there
some reason you can't download and install a copy of a standalone
newsreader like Forte's Agent or Free Agent? Or do these services not
have news servers, period?

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Chuck wrote:
Not being familiar with these services like Yahoo DSL and the like,
where other people are having problems reading newsgroups, is there
some reason you can't download and install a copy of a standalone
newsreader like Forte's Agent or Free Agent? Or do these services not
have news servers, period?

Chuck-- Why don't you just go to Google or Yahoo groups & read the
posts? I tried newsreaders & got all kinds of stuff I didn't care
about. So I just go to the group I've bookmarked every day & peruse.
Phil

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brad Curfman

Chuck wrote:
Not being familiar with these services like Yahoo DSL and the like,
where other people are having problems reading newsgroups, is there
some reason you can't download and install a copy of a standalone
newsreader like Forte's Agent or Free Agent? Or do these services not
have news servers, period?

Some ISPs might not give their customers a free news server.

I've had DSL from Bellsouth and cable modem service from Charter. Both
of these ISPs gave me a free news server. However, there were some
newsgroups that I wanted to read that were available on Bellsouth's news
server, but not on Charter's.

So, if you are using a newsreader, or other application like Outlook
Express or Mozilla Thunderbird ( this is what I use ), you can only
read/post from/to the newsgroups allowed by your ISP - if you are using
their news server. Also, if you have a news reader configured on a
laptop and you connect to the internet away from home ( and you aren't
using your ISP ), there is a good chance your newsreader won't access
the newsgroups as ISPs will also block access to their news servers from
IP addresses that are not in their network.

If you don't get a free news server with your ISP, then you can you
google groups to read/post in most newsgroups.

--
Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:56:20 -0500, Brad Curfman wrote:

[...]

ISP providers DO NOT focus attention on newsgroups. Retention is lousy
and often posts never fully porpogate. If all you do is read messages,
then as long as your ISP carries those groups that you desire, and
your posts propogate, then no point in going further. If, like many,
you are either dis-satisfied with your ISP news service/servers, or
want to download binaries, then you really should seek out another
Usenet provider. (Google "Usenet Providers")

As Brad said, many groups can be "googled" and you can read/post right
through Explorer, Firefox, or whatever internet browser you use.

Personally, I am a downloader and have gone through several Usenet
providers, currently EasyNews (main). Although there are fees for
3rd-party providers, it's all about the downloads here. If you want
it, and want all of it, then it will cost a few bucks. For my $9//mos,
I get all I need and then some.

I switched a long time ago to Forte Agent (Pro) because I am a DL'er
and Agent is packed with features useful to me. Free Agent works fine.
Only recently has Forte offered Usenet news-services because they know
many of their Agent customers have been unhappy with other providers.
I have tried their service (free for three months), and it works very
well. I currently use it as my secondary provider.

My ISP has news, but it's just awful. retention is barely 3 days and,
at least 50% of the posts never propagate. So I only use it as a last
resort or for a specific group that may not be available elsewhere,
but that hasn't happened in years.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

wrote:

Some ISPs might not give their customers a free news server.

I didn't know this was common. I was asking specifically about the
two services that were mentioned in the previous posts, that people
had been having problems with.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 20:34:02 GMT, (Chuck) wrote:

Because _I_ have an ISP that has a news server. I use Forte's Free
Agent, myself. I was wondering about all the other people who had
been complaining about not being able to view the group, and was
asking for their benefit. I didn't know that ISPs routinely don't
offer news service. I've had the same one for about 8 years and for 5
or 6 years before that had another one for the full time, both of
which offered news service. Before that it was FidoNet and before
that GEnie and before that BBSs.

Hehe... nice to know I'm not the only old-timer around here. Btw..
BBSs are still running. Even one I helped establish and co-write. Time
goes waaaay too fast.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Newsreaders (long & OT, what else?)

Hi Chuck & Tombs, Yep, "time flies like an arrow". No, I am _not old
enough to have known old Babbage personally, well maybe as a child I
knew Holtzapffel.

First came flip-flops and Schmitt triggers and all those and, nand & nor
gates.
Then along came Heathkit's 40 pound op. amp. desk analogs, then those
fancy digital Vic20's with their complicated basic and massive storage.
Then packet, then BBS. and now I'm so totally lost I don't understand
any of this thread.

Like the old song about Tipperary: "Goodby FidoNet & GEnie, farewell
Forte and Share. Hello WebTv and newsgroups. "It's a long long way from
ENIAC, but I came from there". Please forgive the few synapses I have
left.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

"Arch" wrote in message
Hi Chuck & Tombs, Yep, "time flies like an arrow". No, I am _not old
enough to have known old Babbage personally, well maybe as a child I
knew Holtzapffel.

Yep, time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana! {:-)

First came flip-flops and Schmitt triggers and all those and, nand & nor
gates.
Then along came Heathkit's 40 pound op. amp. desk analogs, then those
fancy digital Vic20's with their complicated basic and massive storage.
Then packet, then BBS. and now I'm so totally lost I don't understand
any of this thread.

First computer I worked on was an analog device attached to a battle field
survelience radar, circa 1962. Thanks, USMC!
TRhen there was that digital monstrosity built by Burroughs fitted to a
crypto system. Didn't have flip-flops, used "ping-pong" circuits instead.
Memory was via individual bipolar magnetic toroids. It was hot stuff in '63,
but so were the 409 Chevies.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

"Ken Moon" wrote:

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

1965 - RCA 501 and 301. REAL memory. You could open a door and Look at
it. All 64K!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

They were the ones behind the 413 Dodges!

TomNie

". It was hot stuff in '63,
but so were the 409 Chevies.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 02:21:03 GMT, "Ken Moon"
wrote:

Memory was via individual bipolar magnetic toroids. It was hot stuff in '63,
but so were the 409 Chevies.

A 409 Chev' is STILL hot stuff!!

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
They were the ones behind the 413 Dodges!

TomNie

===============
True! But '62 was before I switched over to Mopar. Worked in a speed shop in
S Ga. "Run what you Brung" match races were the big events then. We were
sponsoring a 63 427 Impala SS. Blew an engine about 4 months into the season
and couldn't get Chevy to sell us a new block because the FTC was
threatening them with a monopoly suit, and they pulled all drag race
support. That soured me on GM from then on. Mopars have included 65
Barracuda Formula S (1st delivered in Dallas County), 2 AHRA record holder
Darts, 71 Charger, 71 Challenger, 68 Chrysler 300 convertible (still have
it, but it needs work). Mopars Foever!
(Also had a 51 Henry J with a 394 Hemi in A-Gas!)

Ken