Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Another sanding question

Hi,
This is a flat wood question, but I know there are enough knowledgeable
people here to get a good answer. SWMBO has a hutch base that is to be
refinished. ( I expect to display some turnings in the completed hutch.)

I took the existing finish (varnish or poly) off the top with a 1/2 sheet,
dual action pad sander, but it took hours. The wood is combinations of solid
oak and oak veneer plywood. I'm now thinking about using a belt sander for
the removal of the finish on the ends and front. The big question is whether
or not a belt sander is advisable on veneer, or is the problem of cutting
through to base plywood too big a probability? What grit belt wouold you
start with on veneer? The belts I have here now are 80, 120,
150, and 220. All opinions appreciated.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Ken

If its worth doing, use stripper and scrapers carefully, yes it takes
longer but you will have a much better end result, IMO and experience
(the little hard way learned I have on this).
Here's a link to some stuff that might be what you want.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,43040

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Harry Pye

Ken,

I'm now thinking about using a belt sander for
the removal of the finish on the ends and front.

I'm with Leo. Use stripper or paint remover. It works well and just
requires the patience to let it do its work. I'd be concerned about the
belt sander either going through the veneer or leaving deep scratches in
it. Good luck!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi,
This is a flat wood question, but I know there are enough knowledgeable
people here to get a good answer. SWMBO has a hutch base that is to be
refinished. ( I expect to display some turnings in the completed hutch.)

I took the existing finish (varnish or poly) off the top with a 1/2 sheet,
dual action pad sander, but it took hours. The wood is combinations of
solid oak and oak veneer plywood. I'm now thinking about using a belt
sander for the removal of the finish on the ends and front. The big
question is whether or not a belt sander is advisable on veneer, or is the
problem of cutting through to base plywood too big a probability? What
grit belt wouold you start with on veneer? The belts I have here now are
80, 120,
150, and 220. All opinions appreciated.

No belts. They'll make a mess of the paint as they heat it into the veneer
then remove the veneer altogether.

If you can do cabinet scrapers, that would be my first choice. Great on
flat surfaces, but not confined insides and carvings. If you've got a lot
of those inconveniences, you'll have to go to the strippers. Now a warning
on them. Some of the older glues won't tolerate water-based strips, and
methyl chloride varieties are dangerous to humans. Take your choice based
on ventilation.

I'd rather build furniture than refinish it. Did that when we were fresh
married, and vowed never again after the fourth piece. Think I only did two
or three after that.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

You really don't want to use a belt sander on a veneer table top. Once you
sand through the veneer, you can't put it back. Use stripper to remove the
finish instead of sanding it away. Once all the old finish has been
stripped away, you can sand lightly and refinish.

Barry

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Storey

If you use a belt sander you'd better hope that there is some nice wood
under the veneer 'cause that's what will end up on top. damhikt

Tom

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Walt Cheever

On a positive note, and good card scraper or an old, well tuned Stanley #80
cabinet scraper is a joy to use on flat surfaces. Yes, you have to renew
the edge, but the results....Zowie.

I agree, the belt sander is using a sledge hammer where you need the finesse
of a tack hammer.

Walt C

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:31:55 GMT, "Ken Moon" wrote:

[...]

Ken... I'd say that unless you're VERY good with a belt sander, follow the guy's
advice on stripping and sanding...
In my experience, a belt sander is a noisy little device that was designed to
destroy nice wood and should never be used as a hand-held tool...

I use my 48" belt sander for a lot of roughing on flat work, but would never use
it to remove finish, even with a fence... YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Question - fine sanding polyeurathane finish Dave R. Woodworking 7 January 30th 06 05:27 PM
Dehumidification, fan speed, and backfeed question thrugoodmarshall Home Repair 0 December 17th 05 06:36 PM
sanding question leonard Woodworking 3 December 12th 05 11:37 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Sanding would have saved a gorgeous piece of oak... Bay Area Dave Woodworking 20 November 19th 03 03:16 PM