Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Another sanding question

Hi,
This is a flat wood question, but I know there are enough knowledgeable
people here to get a good answer. SWMBO has a hutch base that is to be
refinished. ( I expect to display some turnings in the completed hutch.)

I took the existing finish (varnish or poly) off the top with a 1/2 sheet,
dual action pad sander, but it took hours. The wood is combinations of solid
oak and oak veneer plywood. I'm now thinking about using a belt sander for
the removal of the finish on the ends and front. The big question is whether
or not a belt sander is advisable on veneer, or is the problem of cutting
through to base plywood too big a probability? What grit belt wouold you
start with on veneer? The belts I have here now are 80, 120,
150, and 220. All opinions appreciated.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.