Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Default Another sanding question

You really don't want to use a belt sander on a veneer table top. Once you
sand through the veneer, you can't put it back. Use stripper to remove the
finish instead of sanding it away. Once all the old finish has been
stripped away, you can sand lightly and refinish.

Barry

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi,
This is a flat wood question, but I know there are enough knowledgeable
people here to get a good answer. SWMBO has a hutch base that is to be
refinished. ( I expect to display some turnings in the completed hutch.)

I took the existing finish (varnish or poly) off the top with a 1/2 sheet,
dual action pad sander, but it took hours. The wood is combinations of
solid oak and oak veneer plywood. I'm now thinking about using a belt
sander for the removal of the finish on the ends and front. The big
question is whether or not a belt sander is advisable on veneer, or is the
problem of cutting through to base plywood too big a probability? What
grit belt wouold you start with on veneer? The belts I have here now are
80, 120,
150, and 220. All opinions appreciated.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.