Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
C&S

Default grinder on lathe bed?

I finally bought myself a grinder. I am looking for a place to park it in my
shop and I thought that I might build a base that would mate with the bed on
my Jet 1442.

Of course of I did long spindle work I would have to remove it, in which
case I could probably just capture the base in the front vise of my
workbench. (If I'm into some spindle turning I would prbably not be needing
that function on my bench)

Is there a some reason why I should not consider that? Like the castoff
from the friable wheels should not get remotely colse to the bed.

Doe sthis sound like a good idea or bad?

-Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Walt Cheever

I thought about it, and decided not to on my set up.

1. The metal and wheel dust would f@@ck up the ways in short order.

2. I built a table that sits on the ways for chisels, so I don't have to
balance them. It's much more handy.

I put the grinder on its own stand 3 steps from the lathe, and I'm happy.

Walt C

"C&S" wrote in message
I finally bought myself a grinder. I am looking for a place to park it in
my
shop and I thought that I might build a base that would mate with the bed
on
my Jet 1442.

Of course of I did long spindle work I would have to remove it, in which
case I could probably just capture the base in the front vise of my
workbench. (If I'm into some spindle turning I would prbably not be
needing
that function on my bench)

Is there a some reason why I should not consider that? Like the castoff
from the friable wheels should not get remotely colse to the bed.

Doe sthis sound like a good idea or bad?

-Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

The grinder just being in the way would be enough to change my mind. The
grinder won't just be in the way when you do long spindle work, it will also
be in the way when you do bowls and other faceplate work. Find another
place for your grinder and you will be much happier.

Barry

"C&S" wrote in message
I finally bought myself a grinder. I am looking for a place to park it in
my
shop and I thought that I might build a base that would mate with the bed
on
my Jet 1442.

Of course of I did long spindle work I would have to remove it, in which
case I could probably just capture the base in the front vise of my
workbench. (If I'm into some spindle turning I would prbably not be
needing
that function on my bench)

Is there a some reason why I should not consider that? Like the castoff
from the friable wheels should not get remotely colse to the bed.

Doe sthis sound like a good idea or bad?

-Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"C&S" wrote: I finally bought myself a grinder. I am looking for a place to
park it in my shop and I thought that I might build a base that would mate
with the bed on my Jet 1442. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In the metals newsgroup someone with a similar problem solved it by mounting
several tools on trailer "receiver" hitches. He mounts the part that
normally goes under the car/truck bumper on his bench, and then he can slip
his vise, grinder, etc on and off easily.

It just occurred to me that this would allow you to back into a
friend's/customer's driveway, and use a variety of tools there as well.
This would be ideal for a handyman type operation.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"C&S" wrote: I finally bought myself a grinder. I am looking for a place
to park it in my shop and I thought that I might build a base that would
mate with the bed on my Jet 1442. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In the metals newsgroup someone with a similar problem solved it by
mounting several tools on trailer "receiver" hitches. He mounts the part
that normally goes under the car/truck bumper on his bench, and then he
can slip his vise, grinder, etc on and off easily.

It just occurred to me that this would allow you to back into a
friend's/customer's driveway, and use a variety of tools there as well.
This would be ideal for a handyman type operation.

Used somewhat similar system myself until I got the "Big Buffer." Grinder
and buffer had box sections that extended past the motor mounts which were
inserted into a slot under the lathe top. They were stored underneath when
not actually in use. Cleat up on the box, down on the top kept 'em well
enough.

Don't know exactly how I will go once Blue is gone. The grinder's still
held in his stand. Probably to a stand alone.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

C&S wrote:
I finally bought myself a grinder. I am looking for a place to park it in my
shop and I thought that I might build a base that would mate with the bed on
my Jet 1442.

Is there a some reason why I should not consider that? Like the castoff
from the friable wheels should not get remotely colse to the bed.

I would be worried that the grinding wheel might get inadvertantly hit
with the end of a tool while turning. It might be enough to fracture the
wheel, and you may not find out until you turn it on

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 03:15:18 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"C&S" wrote: I finally bought myself a grinder. I am looking for a place to
park it in my shop and I thought that I might build a base that would mate
with the bed on my Jet 1442. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In the metals newsgroup someone with a similar problem solved it by mounting
several tools on trailer "receiver" hitches. He mounts the part that
normally goes under the car/truck bumper on his bench, and then he can slip
his vise, grinder, etc on and off easily.

It just occurred to me that this would allow you to back into a
friend's/customer's driveway, and use a variety of tools there as well.
This would be ideal for a handyman type operation.

you could also back your truck into his shop, throw a receiver bar into his
bench and drive away with his bench...

Sorry, just the weird way that my mind works.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:26:50 -0500, "C&S" wrote:

I finally bought myself a grinder. I am looking for a place to park it in my
shop and I thought that I might build a base that would mate with the bed on
my Jet 1442.

Of course of I did long spindle work I would have to remove it, in which
case I could probably just capture the base in the front vise of my
workbench. (If I'm into some spindle turning I would prbably not be needing
that function on my bench)

Is there a some reason why I should not consider that? Like the castoff
from the friable wheels should not get remotely colse to the bed.

Doe sthis sound like a good idea or bad?

-Steve

I'd avoid it for the same reason that I don't like the shop made grinding disks
that fit either hand wheel or between the spindle and chuck.. I just don't like
either metal shavings or sparks around the lathe..

Another consideration is that I recycle my shavings and wouldn't want them
"contaminated" with metal and grinding wheel dust.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Roman & Wendy

I saw a friends grinder was mounted on a purpose built (and abour
$50.00US) grinder stand from Harbour Freight. Then one day I was
driving home from my store, and saw a table base out by the trash
behind a restraunt. Took the base home built a open front wood box on
top of it to holod all of the sharpening paraphenalia (Oneway system)
and bolted the grinder on top.
First time I fired it up it wobbled like mad, but a shim under the
offending foot on the base fixed that.

On the original question I would not want the grinder dust anywhere
near where I am trying to finish sand my pieces. With my luck I would
get a bunch of them on the workpiece and end up with some huge
scratches that would mean more sanding (and more sanding...)

Roman

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 21 Jan 2006 23:30:49 -0800, "Roman & Wendy" wrote:

I saw a friends grinder was mounted on a purpose built (and abour
$50.00US) grinder stand from Harbour Freight. Then one day I was
driving home from my store, and saw a table base out by the trash
behind a restraunt. Took the base home built a open front wood box on
top of it to holod all of the sharpening paraphenalia (Oneway system)
and bolted the grinder on top.
First time I fired it up it wobbled like mad, but a shim under the
offending foot on the base fixed that.

On the original question I would not want the grinder dust anywhere
near where I am trying to finish sand my pieces. With my luck I would
get a bunch of them on the workpiece and end up with some huge
scratches that would mean more sanding (and more sanding...)

Roman

The best stand that I've seen so far was in a mobile sharpening van...

I looked like a 2 foot long piece of channel steel, about a foot wide, with a 2"
pipe fitting welded to the middle...
He had a plywood table/grinder mount on the other end of about 3' of 2" pipe and
hooks under the table to hold different jigs..

One thing that I thought was very clever was that he had attached a pair of
casters to one side of the channel and what looked like the handle from a golf
bag to the other, so he could tilt it and wheel it like a hand truck...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tim

C&S wrote:
I finally bought myself a grinder. I am looking for a place to park it in my
shop and I thought that I might build a base that would mate with the bed on
my Jet 1442.

Don't do it! The reason a grinder wheel can sharpen tooling is that it
is HARDER than the tooling! Any of the grit off the grinding wheel that
lands on your bed ways will continue to do its job, i.e. remove/scratch
your bed ways! This grit between your tailstock base and the ways will
reak havoc on BOTH mating surfaces. Not to mention if the fine dust
gets into your taper area of either the headstock or tailstock.
Better to have a dedicated area if at all possible to touch up your
turning tools or at least maybe behind you and several feet away.
Remember...Sharp tools are safer than dull ones!
TimQ
www.alisam.com
Hand tools for the woodworker/turner

Rikon Lathe David Pugh Woodturning 2 October 29th 05 06:30 AM
Some basic metal lathe questions Grant Erwin Metalworking 5 July 19th 05 10:18 AM
A Sennca Falls Lathe questions jmiguez Metalworking 31 January 31st 05 12:54 PM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
A Video for Beginners (a bit long) Fred Holder Woodturning 1 September 30th 03 09:37 PM