Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Walt Cheever

Default grinder on lathe bed?

I thought about it, and decided not to on my set up.

1. The metal and wheel dust would f@@ck up the ways in short order.

2. I built a table that sits on the ways for chisels, so I don't have to
balance them. It's much more handy.

I put the grinder on its own stand 3 steps from the lathe, and I'm happy.

Walt C

"C&S" wrote in message
I finally bought myself a grinder. I am looking for a place to park it in
my
shop and I thought that I might build a base that would mate with the bed
on
my Jet 1442.

Of course of I did long spindle work I would have to remove it, in which
case I could probably just capture the base in the front vise of my
workbench. (If I'm into some spindle turning I would prbably not be
needing
that function on my bench)

Is there a some reason why I should not consider that? Like the castoff
from the friable wheels should not get remotely colse to the bed.

Doe sthis sound like a good idea or bad?

-Steve