Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default grinder on lathe bed?

On 21 Jan 2006 23:30:49 -0800, "Roman & Wendy" wrote:

I saw a friends grinder was mounted on a purpose built (and abour
$50.00US) grinder stand from Harbour Freight. Then one day I was
driving home from my store, and saw a table base out by the trash
behind a restraunt. Took the base home built a open front wood box on
top of it to holod all of the sharpening paraphenalia (Oneway system)
and bolted the grinder on top.
First time I fired it up it wobbled like mad, but a shim under the
offending foot on the base fixed that.

On the original question I would not want the grinder dust anywhere
near where I am trying to finish sand my pieces. With my luck I would
get a bunch of them on the workpiece and end up with some huge
scratches that would mean more sanding (and more sanding...)

Roman

The best stand that I've seen so far was in a mobile sharpening van...

I looked like a 2 foot long piece of channel steel, about a foot wide, with a 2"
pipe fitting welded to the middle...
He had a plywood table/grinder mount on the other end of about 3' of 2" pipe and
hooks under the table to hold different jigs..

One thing that I thought was very clever was that he had attached a pair of
casters to one side of the channel and what looked like the handle from a golf
bag to the other, so he could tilt it and wheel it like a hand truck...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing