Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Default Which turning tools to go with?

Mac
You think you got it bad? I do not drink and with the winters here in Nova
Scotia, not much barbeque either. There goes fresh bread, butter, salad oil,
frying pans.... So how come the waist stays?

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lenny

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 03:35:04 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Lenny
Whatever color wheel you go for, I like the 80 grit for sharpening. 60 is a
bit too coarse and 100 gets hard to feel what you are doing, at least for
me. I also advise making or buying a jig.

Thanks Darrell,
I've already spent some time looking over the grinding jigs you show
on your website. I plan to give them a try at some point.

Lenny
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lenny

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:39:07 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

"Lenny" wrote in message
news
On 18 Jan 2006 22:41:53 -0800, wrote:
snip

Have been wondering what grit white wheel I should start with for
keeping my turning tools in order ..... 80 maybe ?

snip

The white ones disappear too fast, the gray ones last, but the green SiC
freshens HSS best in my slow-speed setup.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=105-677

What they say about the types of stones and suitability seem validated by my
experience. I use the 100 for the basic edge. If you're shaping the tool
use the blue at about 60 for fast stock removal. If you've got narrow bits
for Oland-style, last thing you want is the white crumbly wheel. It'll have
a short life.

Now that I think about it, ShopNotes magazine recommended Pink wheels
for that reason I think. I do plan to try my hand at an Oland tool. I
guess I was thinking if I could buy one "good" wheel and keep one of
the original gray wheels for rough work.... but maybe I should think
about the Woodcraft slow grinder with the two good wheels ?

It's not something I'm going to do soon anyway. I haven't been able to
find a whole lot of turning time as it is lately. Looking forward to
Spring !

Lenny
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lenny

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:59:11 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Lenny wrote:

I'm still waiting for my Harbor Freight turning chisels and HSS tool
bits for making an Oland tool. Their website says allow 10 - 14
business days and I guess they aren't kidding. Not exactly a model of
efficiency compared to most of the other companies out there.

But cheap. And, somewhat surprisingly, good on the customer service end. I
usually go to the local store, but they are not carrying everything now so
I placed an online order. Order showed up after an interminable wait with
one item short, but listed on the invoice. With some trepidation and the
expectation of mucho hassle, I called the customer service number. Got
connected pretty quickly with a human, told them my problem, read them the
invoice number, and got told they'd ship the missing item that day. It
showed up as promised. I was very impressed.

Well, this was just my first order from them, and your right, I think
a set of 8, hss turning tools for $40 bucks is a pretty good deal.
Glad to hear their customer service is good.One thing for sure,
they'll get here sooner then I'll find ANY decent turning tools
locally !
Must be nice living near a real woodworking supply stores.
{and expensive} =0 )
Probably just as well I don't .

Lenny

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mark Tetrault

In a recent message, "Darrell Feltmate"
opined:

Mac
You think you got it bad? I do not drink and with the winters here in Nova
Scotia, not much barbeque either. There goes fresh bread, butter, salad oil,
frying pans.... So how come the waist stays?

Inactivity. We summer on Cape Breton, but as soon as the weather turns cool
we head to the southwest. We are active all winter. More walking or skiing
is in order to help the waistline. ;+}

Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

Lenny wrote:

[...]

Actually I live near both. HF and the good stores. It's a blessing and a
curse!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Mark
the problem (problem? not really a complaint :-) )this winter is lack of
snow (I do not really mind) We have a 150 foot driveway and a good shovel of
an 18" drop of snow to clear a path to the road is a good waist womper. Stop
in when you are near Truro this summer.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mark Tetrault

In a recent message, "Darrell Feltmate"
opined:

Mark
the problem (problem? not really a complaint :-) )this winter is lack of
snow (I do not really mind) We have a 150 foot driveway and a good shovel of
an 18" drop of snow to clear a path to the road is a good waist womper. Stop
in when you are near Truro this summer.

When I retired, and sold the house in NH, I took the snowblower to Cape
Breton and put it in the garage. I swore I would never use it again. ;+}

Tnx for the invite, I'll hollar when I'm in your area.

Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ken - we are going to have one of the distinguished members of that
club come demo the Hamlet hollowing system next Thursday here in San
Antonio.

We get Johnny about once a year, he is always a big hit as he is such a
practical, no nonsense turner. Luuuuuvs that found wood, too, and
anything he can do on the cheap.

If the guys in that club are anything like John (never met his brother)
you sure have a good group there.

As far as Dan goes, he might learn more in one session of open teaching
with those guys than he could teach himself in a year.

Robert

=========================

Robert,
Since you didn't specify last names, I assume you're referring to the
Tolly's. They are superb turners, and there are several others in CTWA that
are about their equal who demonstrate at SWAT (formerly Texas Turn or Two),
as well as other regional and national gatherings. If you've seen the book
"Masterful Woodturning Turning" by Gary Roberts, he's a member who was
awarded an AAW lifetime award several years back.
I haven't been active for about 4 years due to my leg problems and
transportation availability (my wife and DPS didn't want me to drive), but
I'm going to try to get back out to the meetings this spring. (Went down to
DPS and retook my drivers road test, so my wife also said OK). If Dan gets
involved with CTWA, they have a group of volunteer "mentors" scattered over
the Austin metro area that will teach new guys at their home shop.
Priceless!!

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ken Moon wrote:

Robert,
Since you didn't specify last names, I assume you're referring to the
Tolly's. They are superb turners

One in the same. I have never met his brother, but Johnny always says
you can tell them apart as he is the youthful, more handsome one.

I love the fact that as long as he has been turning, he has a true
interest in just about all things turning, and is interested to learn
more. We have had other turners at our group that demo and they are a
little (not too much) on the colder, more aloof artist's bend.

Not Johnny. "If you want me to show you how to do this, come on up
after the meeting" and "heck, that's not hard, just lift your elbow a
little more and you've got it" is what you get from him. He admires
your grinds, wants to try some of them on your tools!), is tickled with
a nice piece of mystery wood, and loves to see homemade jigs and
goodies. This guy makes it FUN.

He told me to make sure was in Austin around the next meeting and he
would introduce me around to the club as his guest. Told him it gave a
whole new meaning to "goin' clubbin"" with the guys.

I do hope you get back into the turning club stuff. You have posted a
lot of goodies here for a long time and I took it for granted you were
grinding up wood with the rest of us. Sounds like your Austin buds
would welcome you back with open arms. Give us a post and let us know
how it goes when you go back, OK?

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:08:27 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Mac
You think you got it bad? I do not drink and with the winters here in Nova
Scotia, not much barbeque either. There goes fresh bread, butter, salad oil,
frying pans.... So how come the waist stays?

I hear that... my wife went on a weight watcher diet in April and has lost about
80 pounds.. I lost about 20 and then started finding the ones that she lost
(keeps the world balanced) and gained most of the 20 back.. *sigh*

Oh well, at least in this group I can call it a "turning muscle".. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:08:36 -0500, Lenny wrote:

Well, this was just my first order from them, and your right, I think
a set of 8, hss turning tools for $40 bucks is a pretty good deal.
Glad to hear their customer service is good.One thing for sure,
they'll get here sooner then I'll find ANY decent turning tools
locally !
Must be nice living near a real woodworking supply stores.
{and expensive} =0 )
Probably just as well I don't .

Lenny

Lenny.. I have that set and like them... they're identical to my "Benjamin's
best" chisels from Penn State Ind., as far as I can tell...

The round nose scraper is very handy.. has a gring/angle that lets you do both
shearing and scraping...

Also, as you collect more tools, the "spear point/beading/parting" tool is nice
because it doesn't have the traditional diamond shaft... since it's flat and
fairly thick, it can be made into a skew with very little work..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Apt

I'm leaning to the slow speed wet grinder. Today, I got tired of thinking
about it so went and turned 2 pens. I gave one to the kid that watched the
entire process of the first pen. (my first turning in about 4 years) The
second pen cam out better (of course). Today, ebony is my favorite wood to
turn.

Dan

On 1/20/06 8:36 AM, in article ,
"Andy Dingley" wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 01:12:31 GMT, Dan Apt wrote:

Wet/dry?

IMHO, a slow wet grinder with a 10" wheel.

I can buy a minimum 6" fast grinder for £20 and a similar quality slow
(geared) wet grinder for £30. That's a big improvement for negligible
money. A slower (1400 rpm motor) grinder is at least £100.

How about a fast (read cheap) with electronic speed control to make it slow.

Electronic speed control only works with brushed motors, not with the
induction motors you're likely to find on a grinder. You could use a
VFD (and I believe some TIG welders do) but that's expensive.

What about horizontally oriented slow wet grinders?

I've seen two sorts of these. The modern hobbyist machines like the
Samurai that are intended for wide plane irons. They usually have soft
waterstones on them. They work well, but need a lot of re-flattening and
so stone wear is heavy. They're also a less than ideal stone for HSS
turning tools.

The other sort are old industrial cast-iron grinders. They're available
for peanuts on the surplus market, because no-one wants them. They work,
but the stones tend to be coarser than I'd want for bench work and
they're too inflexible for much else.

Can jigs be made to
properly sharpen a bowl gouge?

Do it by hand - it's not that hard if you make the deliberate effort to
practice