Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin

Default Somethng I learned last night

One of the most useful attributes of this group is learning about what works
and what doesn't. Last night I wanted to put a decorative burn around a
bowl that was nearing completion. Being somewhat of a scrounger, I dug out
an old guitar string (#4 classical for those really interested). Perhaps 10
seconds is all it took for the brass (bronze?) to burn through leaving
nothing but the fabric interior. Maybe the first, second, or third string
(accoustic) would fare better.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

"Kevin" wrote:

One of the most useful attributes of this group is learning about what
works and what doesn't. Last night I wanted to put a decorative burn
around a bowl that was nearing completion. Being somewhat of a
scrounger, I dug out an old guitar string (#4 classical for those
really interested). Perhaps 10 seconds is all it took for the brass
(bronze?) to burn through leaving nothing but the fabric interior.
Maybe the first, second, or third string (accoustic) would fare
better.

Did it leave anything decorative?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Kevin
I like a first or second string from a steel string guitar, but we bluegrass
people do some strange things anyway. :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

"Kevin" wrote in message
One of the most useful attributes of this group is learning about what
works
and what doesn't. Last night I wanted to put a decorative burn around a
bowl that was nearing completion. Being somewhat of a scrounger, I dug
out
an old guitar string (#4 classical for those really interested). Perhaps
10
seconds is all it took for the brass (bronze?) to burn through leaving
nothing but the fabric interior. Maybe the first, second, or third string
(accoustic) would fare better.

Thanks for the info, I have been using a 2' piece of concrete rebar tie
wire (comes in spools) and it works great. I estimate it is about 1/16" or
less. The steel wire works better, heats up quicker. Next time somebody
pours a sidewalk in your area...........bum a piece from the form workers.
They won't miss 2' off the 100' roll strapped on their side.
Good Luck Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
.net...

Thanks for the info, I have been using a 2' piece of concrete rebar tie
wire (comes in spools) and it works great. I estimate it is about 1/16" or
less. The steel wire works better, heats up quicker. Next time somebody
pours a sidewalk in your area...........bum a piece from the form workers.
They won't miss 2' off the 100' roll strapped on their side.

Can get the same at a slightly higher price as picture hanging wire.
Annealed solid steel, not braided. My shop is pretty messy, but even
allowing for losses in the sweepings, I'm still working the same $1.39 roll
after five years.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Actually, I walked into the Dollar Store a while ago and saw somw wire
fishing leaders, about 5 in a pack, and bought them. The braided outside
wire burned off fast but the interior wire holds up well and does a nice job
of burning lines. It was just a thought for someone who does not play guitar
or banjo or for that matter does not know a player. If you get the e and b
string from someone changing strings, it should give a several years supply
of burning wire.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Actually, I walked into the Dollar Store a while ago and saw somw wire
fishing leaders, about 5 in a pack, and bought them. The braided outside
wire burned off fast but the interior wire holds up well and does a nice job
of burning lines. It was just a thought for someone who does not play guitar
or banjo or for that matter does not know a player. If you get the e and b
string from someone changing strings, it should give a several years supply
of burning wire.

And if you really want to go upscale, get a hack saw and mount the wire
where the blade goes. Gets good tension on it, and easy to manipulate.
Should go w/o saying that one should never wrap the wire around their
fingers!

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Kevin wrote:
One of the most useful attributes of this group is learning about what works
and what doesn't. Last night I wanted to put a decorative burn around a
bowl that was nearing completion. Being somewhat of a scrounger, I dug out
an old guitar string (#4 classical for those really interested). Perhaps 10
seconds is all it took for the brass (bronze?) to burn through leaving
nothing but the fabric interior. Maybe the first, second, or third string
(accoustic) would fare better.

I use common soft wire that comes in a roll in a box from Lowes. A trick
I use for tapered areas to help start the burn straight: I cut a tiny
groove with a sharpened tool made from an old screwdriver. Then the wire
will start the burn right in the groove without slipping around.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

He ended the job as he began it; fired
with enthusiasm.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Right Kevin! Handles on the wires! there is a picture of one idea on my
quick tips page.
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/tips.shtml

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:44:47 -0500, "Kevin" wrote:

One of the most useful attributes of this group is learning about what works
and what doesn't. Last night I wanted to put a decorative burn around a
bowl that was nearing completion. Being somewhat of a scrounger, I dug out
an old guitar string (#4 classical for those really interested). Perhaps 10
seconds is all it took for the brass (bronze?) to burn through leaving
nothing but the fabric interior. Maybe the first, second, or third string
(accoustic) would fare better.

I use braided copper wire, about 12 gauge... got 50' of the stuff from a friend
that wanted me to ground the dc hoses.. *g*

I like the garrote style, lots of wire wrapped onto 2 pieces of 3/4" dowel...
the point is to burn the wood, not your fingers... DAMHIKT

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"mac davis" wrote in message
I use braided copper wire, about 12 gauge... got 50' of the stuff from a
friend
that wanted me to ground the dc hoses.. *g*

I like the garrote style, lots of wire wrapped onto 2 pieces of 3/4"
dowel...
the point is to burn the wood, not your fingers... DAMHIKT

How fast are you spinning? The way copper conducts heat, I gave up on it
fairly early on the way to steel.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:12:13 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
I use braided copper wire, about 12 gauge... got 50' of the stuff from a
friend
that wanted me to ground the dc hoses.. *g*

I like the garrote style, lots of wire wrapped onto 2 pieces of 3/4"
dowel...
the point is to burn the wood, not your fingers... DAMHIKT

How fast are you spinning? The way copper conducts heat, I gave up on it
fairly early on the way to steel.

Usually still at 450, the speed that I sand at.. (slowest available)
If I'm not getting the burn that I want, I'll go to 800..

I've never had it conduct enough heat to scorch the dowels, and it seems to work
well for me.. I'll eventually go with Derrell's idea with the fishing leader, as
my neighbor uses it on his boat, but not until I manage to wear out the one I'm
using now..

Then again, my kid WAS talking about getting new strings for his electric
guitar.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Centreal Heating Boiler on all Night!!? Barrie Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 12:23 PM
[OT] Wooden Bowls and Life's Lessons (Corn Warning) Greg G. Woodworking 6 November 11th 05 04:34 PM
Wasps at night pden UK diy 14 October 11th 05 07:21 PM
Fitting a night latch from scratch Charlie UK diy 10 April 28th 05 05:27 PM
First "Commisioned" Project Done - Lessons Learned Mike W. Woodworking 47 March 15th 05 04:45 PM