Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Default Somethng I learned last night

Kevin wrote:
One of the most useful attributes of this group is learning about what works
and what doesn't. Last night I wanted to put a decorative burn around a
bowl that was nearing completion. Being somewhat of a scrounger, I dug out
an old guitar string (#4 classical for those really interested). Perhaps 10
seconds is all it took for the brass (bronze?) to burn through leaving
nothing but the fabric interior. Maybe the first, second, or third string
(accoustic) would fare better.

I use common soft wire that comes in a roll in a box from Lowes. A trick
I use for tapered areas to help start the burn straight: I cut a tiny
groove with a sharpened tool made from an old screwdriver. Then the wire
will start the burn right in the groove without slipping around.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

He ended the job as he began it; fired