Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

Default Somethng I learned last night

"Kevin" wrote in message
One of the most useful attributes of this group is learning about what
works
and what doesn't. Last night I wanted to put a decorative burn around a
bowl that was nearing completion. Being somewhat of a scrounger, I dug
out
an old guitar string (#4 classical for those really interested). Perhaps
10
seconds is all it took for the brass (bronze?) to burn through leaving
nothing but the fabric interior. Maybe the first, second, or third string
(accoustic) would fare better.

Thanks for the info, I have been using a 2' piece of concrete rebar tie
wire (comes in spools) and it works great. I estimate it is about 1/16" or
less. The steel wire works better, heats up quicker. Next time somebody
pours a sidewalk in your area...........bum a piece from the form workers.
They won't miss 2' off the 100' roll strapped on their side.
Good Luck Lyndell