Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Leonhardt

Default Lathe Stand Design

Hi Turners,

I generally hang out at rec.woodworking ,but I have a lathe-specific
question, so I thought it best to post it here. I recently acquired a
Rockwell model 46-111 lathe which I take as a 11" swing (14" bowls) and 48"
center-to-center. The lathe doesn't have a stand so I'll make one for it.
I know I can cobble a stand together that would be adequate, however it
would be really good to see designs that others have used. I'm sure there
are many clever designs out there, so please point me to a web page ( or
email me a picture) of the stand you have made for your lathe(s).

In designing a stand for myself, I will try to incorporate the following:

1. Make the stand so that you can add lots of weight to keep the vibration
down.
2. Make the motor mount so that it is easy to change speeds.
3. Possibly I will add wheels so I can move the lathe if needed.

Can anyone add to this list of considerations?

Lastly, I will need to add a motor. For a lathe this size, what H.P. would
be customary?
1725 or 3450 rpm?

"Reply to" doesn't work. You can email me at:

WJLeonhardt-at-bnl-dot-gov-the
rest is junk.

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

ps I'm not a heavy-duty turner, but I would like to develop the skill
needed to add turned parts to my furniture.