Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Lathe Stand Design

"Bill Leonhardt" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill Leonhardt wrote:
SNIP

The lathe doesn't have a stand so I'll make one for it.
I know I can cobble a stand together that would be adequate, however it
would be really good to see designs that others have used. I'm sure
there
are many clever designs out there, so please point me to a web page ( or
email me a picture) of the stand you have made for your lathe(s).

Thanks George, Derek, Lobby, Joe and Bruce for your replys. I would
have thanked you sooner, but I lost news group access for a few
days...so it goes.

I really appreciate the advice about being sure the "stance" is
adequate. I can see where that is important. Also, I had planned on
adding weight to the stand via cement blocks (so I could remove them
easily for moving), however, after thinking about it for a while, the
sand would probably be better at damping vibration.

Best way to dampen vibration is to make the stand rigid. Proper bracing
will reduce the elasticity to about zero. Weight just holds it to the floor
when you're swinging an unbalanced load, which is also why you want the legs
to splay out in the front. Of course wood has been turned over wooden beds
for thousands of years, so maybe "vibration dampening" only becomes
necessary with excessive speed.

If you consider that the off-balance load accelerates toward you, reaching
maximum leverage at 9:00, but maximum force somewhere closer to 7:30
(velocity squared, you remember), you can see that you want your weight
placed to the rear and low. What it wants to do is lift the rear legs. You
can take advantage of the CG shift temporarily by wedging the forward legs
upward on piece you can't get close to balance.