Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default OT motor speed question

Hi, did a search for the answer to my question and found this forum
which seems very knowledgeable about motors and speeds related to them.

I recently had a treadmill motor replaced on my treadmill. The
original motor was 2hp. For some reason the replacement the technician
got was a 2.5hp. After he replaced the motor and left, I noticed that
the speeds of the treadmill now seemed slower than what I set the
treadmill for. After some rough calculations I determined it to be
about 80% of the speed I set. (ie. I set the treadmill to jog at 5
mph, but I am now walking at 4 mph) Does this make sense given that a
larger motor was put in but no changes to the circuit boards etc)
Everything else remained constant.

Thank you in advance,

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, did a search for the answer to my question and found this forum
which seems very knowledgeable about motors and speeds related to them.

I recently had a treadmill motor replaced on my treadmill. The
original motor was 2hp. For some reason the replacement the technician
got was a 2.5hp. After he replaced the motor and left, I noticed that
the speeds of the treadmill now seemed slower than what I set the
treadmill for. After some rough calculations I determined it to be
about 80% of the speed I set. (ie. I set the treadmill to jog at 5
mph, but I am now walking at 4 mph) Does this make sense given that a
larger motor was put in but no changes to the circuit boards etc)
Everything else remained constant.

Might have put in a different pulley or gear size.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
jim

Just the motor was replaced with another treadmill motor from the same
company. It is just more horsepower.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

the motor has been replaced with a new one with a different speed - the
hp would be irrelevent. check the plate on the motor to see if the
speeds match the old one - or contcat the motor manufacturers - give
them the model nos.. etc - they should be able to tell you if there is
any difference in speeds or if you have the wrong motor. in nay case
get the tech back out.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

wrote in message
ups.com...
the motor has been replaced with a new one with a different speed - the
hp would be irrelevent. check the plate on the motor to see if the
speeds match the old one - or contcat the motor manufacturers - give
them the model nos.. etc - they should be able to tell you if there is
any difference in speeds or if you have the wrong motor. in nay case
get the tech back out.

Gentlemen, read the post. It's a treadmill motor with no intrinsic speed,
rather it's controlled by something else which was not replaced.

This means the must have been some change in the mechanics, or the
controller, calibrated to the old, needs to be recalibrated to the new, with
its higher draw.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ricky Robbins

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 06:35:32 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

Gentlemen, read the post. It's a treadmill motor with no intrinsic speed,
rather it's controlled by something else which was not replaced.

The intrinsic speed is based on the RPM at full armature voltage. For
example, if the original motor was 2000 RPM, and the new one 1600 RPM,
then what the OP is describing would be what would happen. I
seriously doubt there's a feedback loop (tach), so the controller just
puts out a given DC voltage at a given mph setting, so two different
RPM motors will give different speeds at the same MPH setting, i.e.,
same voltage. (Ignoring field voltage, which is most likely doable in
this case.)

This means the must have been some change in the mechanics, or the
controller, calibrated to the old, needs to be recalibrated to the new, with
its higher draw.

There is no (significant) higher draw at the same load. The higher HP
rating is just what it's capable of delivering, but doesn't change
what is delivered at a given load (heck, HP is a measurement of load).
I'd agree that it needs recalibrated, but the calibration needed is
due to the (suspected) RPM difference, not the HP difference. Whether
that calibration span is available is questionable, of course. If
it's under warranty, as someone else suggested, call the tech and tell
him it isn't fixed. If not under warranty, well, .8 multiplied by
displayed speed equals treadmill speed.

Ricky

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
jim

Thanks for all the responses. There was a calibration that needed to be
done at the control panel that was missed. Tech fixed it today.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

could be that the circuitry regulates current rather than measuring
back emf - the larger HP would draw more current for same RPM. or as
another poster suggested, it could have had a different pulley, or a
third alternative is that the new motor is 120VDC and the old one was
90VDC (I see both in treadmills) - just set your speed appropriatly
faster, and ask the tech to give you a partial refund because it's not
right, but it's tolerable

On 15 Dec 2005 03:32:15 -0800, wrote:

Hi, did a search for the answer to my question and found this forum
which seems very knowledgeable about motors and speeds related to them.

I recently had a treadmill motor replaced on my treadmill. The
original motor was 2hp. For some reason the replacement the technician
got was a 2.5hp. After he replaced the motor and left, I noticed that
the speeds of the treadmill now seemed slower than what I set the
treadmill for. After some rough calculations I determined it to be
about 80% of the speed I set. (ie. I set the treadmill to jog at 5
mph, but I am now walking at 4 mph) Does this make sense given that a
larger motor was put in but no changes to the circuit boards etc)
Everything else remained constant.

Thank you in advance,

Jim

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM