Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Rick Cox

Default My first attempt with 3 phase

I hope to bring and old Rockwell lathe back to life this weekend.
The lathe is a Rockwell Delta 46-450 1HP 3phase monster with the Reeves
speed control on it.
I would really like to restore this lathe, but I want to see it run before I
spend to much time or money on it.

After some research (love that OWWM) I decided to try the VFD route instead
of replacing the motor.
I got a used Toshiba VFD on ebay for $80.00 and a great manual with wiring
diagrams. I have read that the reeves gear on that lathe works pretty well,
so I may only use the vfd as an inverter, but I really am intrested in the
flexibility.

I also learned that the larger Jet, Delta, Performax lathes use the VFDs
with 3 phase motors. My father has the JET 1642 and I noticed that it also
has a brake resistor. Would this be a good thing to get before I try the
VFD, or is it all that necessary?

I saw a "Hint" in the manual that you might want to set the Maximum
Frequency for an older non VFD designed "General Purpose" motor to max out
at 80hz. Has anyone done this?

To start out, I plan on using the 0-60hz and control the vfd from its own
control panel, how ever, i would like eventually use a remote potentiometer
and run stop switch.

If any one has any additional tips I would appreciate it.

If everything goes ok I will have a great heavy lathe,
If not....I have to get rid of a heavy lathe.....

Have a good day
Rick

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
billh

A brake resistor is not required but if you do use one make sure that it is
of such a value that does not stop the lathe too quickly since that can
cause faceplates and chucks to loosen and come off from what I understand.

All AC variable speed drives use 3 phase motors. Setting the maximum is
probably a good idea since the motor's rpm is rated at 60Hz so why turn your
drive components at 33% faster than the nominal design.

My VFD General has a 4-step pulley in the drive which allows the motor to
develop maximum torque at low speed settings (since the motor can run at a
more optimum rpm). I would use the Reeves drive to set the desired "range"
and then use the VFD to control within that range. You can also look at it
as a bit of a safety feature since you can't run the lathe up to max spindle
rpm by mistake with a big blank mounted on it when the Reeves drive is set
for a lower speed. Since you only have a 1 HP motor gearing via the Reeves
drive will probably be beneficial if you are turning some heavy wet blanks.

I have put a remote stop/start switch and speed control pot on my General.
Be sure to follow any instructions carefully. I used shielded cable to keep
out any interference and be sure it is well routed to prevent physical
damage and make sure there are no stress points where the cable flexes. I
don't know what happens if the VFD loses one of the speed pot wires due to
breakage - would it run up to max rpm?
billh

"Rick Cox" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Rick.
I am anxious to hear how it goes. I have a Powermatic 90 That I
am thinking about VFD'ing. I have a reeves drive also along with
Jackshaft. I am new to turning and have heard that even at the listed
low of 500rpm. I would still want to run slower at times. So I am
leaning toward the VFD. I am curious which one you bought. I would
also like to have the option of running the lathe in reverse. I heard
that all VFD will do this. How did you decide which one to get. Keep
me posted, I am interested to hear how things go.

Good luck.
Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Rick Cox

The VFD I purchased on ebay is a Used Toshiba VFS7s-2007up.
It took some digging but I did find a manual for it on the Internet. It is
very informative and I could email it to you if you would like to see it.

A new VFD for 1Hp is easy to get on the Internet for about $169.00.

I will gladly keep you posted if you are interested...In fact, If you are
anywhere near Columbus OH, I will even let you turn it on for the first
time....Wink Wink nudge nudge...

I may end up in the hospital after this is all over. Who knows.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Rick.
I am anxious to hear how it goes. I have a Powermatic 90 That I
am thinking about VFD'ing. I have a reeves drive also along with
Jackshaft. I am new to turning and have heard that even at the listed
low of 500rpm. I would still want to run slower at times. So I am
leaning toward the VFD. I am curious which one you bought. I would
also like to have the option of running the lathe in reverse. I heard
that all VFD will do this. How did you decide which one to get. Keep
me posted, I am interested to hear how things go.

Good luck.
Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Rick,
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately(or fortunately) I am a
thousand or so miles from Columbus. I Live just outside Missoula
Montana. But I would like you to keep me posted on your progress. Do
you have any online pice of said lathe? Well thanks for getting back
to. I am going to do some more looking into the VFD's.

Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Rick Cox

I posted some Pics on a.b.p.w.
It really looks worse in the photos than it does in person.
I really cant wait to try it out

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Rick,
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately(or fortunately) I am a
thousand or so miles from Columbus. I Live just outside Missoula
Montana. But I would like you to keep me posted on your progress. Do
you have any online pice of said lathe? Well thanks for getting back
to. I am going to do some more looking into the VFD's.

Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

I don't think anybody has mentioned this in the thread...

Another thing to keep in mind. If you are using a 3 phase motor not
specifically designed for use with a VFD, slow speed running may cause
it to overheat. VFD rated motors are built with higher temperature
insulation on the windings because when the motor runs slowly, the fan
runs slowly.

I think that Bill N has suggested running a plain old fan pointed at the
motor in a prior thread but that seems a little Rube Goldberg to me.

Bill (R)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hey Rick,
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately(or fortunately) I am a
thousand or so miles from Columbus. I Live just outside Missoula
Montana. But I would like you to keep me posted on your progress. Do
you have any online pice of said lathe? Well thanks for getting back
to. I am going to do some more looking into the VFD's.

Sean

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

hey, what's wrong with Rube Goldberg?

but seriously, what I said was that I have a 5 inch muffin fan
attached to the back of the TEFC motor on my lathe, that way when it
is running really slow, I turn on the muffin fan and can leave the
motor running for hours at a time. The problem is not the heat
per-se, the problem is that at low RPM the fan doesn't move any air,
so there is inadequate cooling - I suppose pointing a room fan at the
motor would help too, but that seems pretty unaesthetic

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:07:41 GMT, Bill Rubenstein
wrote:

I don't think anybody has mentioned this in the thread...

Another thing to keep in mind. If you are using a 3 phase motor not
specifically designed for use with a VFD, slow speed running may cause
it to overheat. VFD rated motors are built with higher temperature
insulation on the windings because when the motor runs slowly, the fan
runs slowly.

I think that Bill N has suggested running a plain old fan pointed at the
motor in a prior thread but that seems a little Rube Goldberg to me.

Bill (R)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:11:29 GMT, "Rick Cox" wrote:

The VFD I purchased on ebay is a Used Toshiba VFS7s-2007up.
It took some digging but I did find a manual for it on the Internet. It is
very informative and I could email it to you if you would like to see it.

A new VFD for 1Hp is easy to get on the Internet for about $169.00.

I will gladly keep you posted if you are interested...In fact, If you are
anywhere near Columbus OH, I will even let you turn it on for the first
time....Wink Wink nudge nudge...

I may end up in the hospital after this is all over. Who knows.

Rick.. sounds like a great use for a remote switch, since you'll probably want
one for it anyway..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing