Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin

Default Is this combination workable?

Christmas is coming and I've pretty much decided what to get family and
friends so that part of the shopping is completed. Not finished mind you,
but the hard part is out of the way. The wife always wants the same thing
so she is taken care of. That leaves me.

I would like to finish my bowl bottoms using Cole jaws. I've seen on at
least one site how to make my own but my workshop lacks the tools that would
let me do a really good job of it (not to mention the space for those
missing tools!) Mini Cole jaws would fit my Jet 1236 however I have only a
single SuperNova chuck. I was thinking abut getting the Nova Midi Chuck but
am a bit concerned whether the combination of the two will work. Do the
midi jaws have enough heft to handle the Cole jaws?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

"Kevin" wrote:

Christmas is coming and I've pretty much decided what to get family
and friends so that part of the shopping is completed. Not finished
mind you, but the hard part is out of the way. The wife always wants
the same thing so she is taken care of. That leaves me.

I would like to finish my bowl bottoms using Cole jaws. I've seen on
at least one site how to make my own but my workshop lacks the tools
that would let me do a really good job of it (not to mention the space
for those missing tools!) Mini Cole jaws would fit my Jet 1236
however I have only a single SuperNova chuck. I was thinking abut
getting the Nova Midi Chuck but am a bit concerned whether the
combination of the two will work. Do the midi jaws have enough heft
to handle the Cole jaws?

I'd think so. The Cole jaws I had were cast aluminum (or somesuch). Very
light weight.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sure you don't have the tools? I made some out of 1/2" plywood using a
drill (press or hand) and a band (or saber) saw. That's it. Used the
chuck to mark the disk for drilling and countersinking, used a cheap
protractor and compass to mark out the holes to drill, then after all
drilling was done, cut the disk in quarters and screwed it to the
chuck. Used rubber bumpers from the hardware store. Works great!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Kevin
I made mine from plywood using a drill press and band saw, but a hand drill
and saber saw would work. This is really not all that precision a project.
See my web site for info.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate