Alastair Taylor

Default Combination cylinder woes

Having a terrible time with the hot water in my flat, would appreciate
advice from any of you guys 'in the know'.

history

Direct combination cylinder in flat been on it's last legs for a while
due to heavy limescale. Packed up a few weeks ago. Since then been a
misery trying to get it sorted. Plumbers promising to turn up and not,
called British Gas 'it's a cylinder mate, not a boiler'. Although the
British Gas guy was a gent and measured up my cylinder, told me the
specifications (Direct combination tank, economy 7 etc...).

Plan B. Source the cylinder myself. Some plumbers in my local Rugby
club only too happy to help install, but no time to come round during
the day. No problem, or so I thought....

/history

Original is one of these :

float operated valve
overflow | o----|
-------| |----------
|----||-| cold in
| |
| |
----------| |
hot out | |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
---------

However, ordered one of these (I think, it was the wife, just gets
better!)

http://www.albion-online.co.uk/combi%20units%20x.html

Now, the bit that seduced me was the statement

"installation is made simpler without the need to run pipes to and
from the cold cistern."

So, I took this to mean there is no need for an external cistern,
which I haven't got anyway. Just a direct from the water supply
feeding the flats.

The cylinder just delivered looks roughly like:

cold supply

\
| \_|
| |
|----||-|
| |
| |
----------| |
hot out | |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
---------

....and there is instructions on connecting to an external cylinder.
Doh!

So either

(1) I've misunderstood what type of cylinder I need (highly likely)

or

(2) The Albion one is what I want, just had the wrong one delivered.

Either way, the plumbing merchant already thinks I'm an idiot, so
before asking him any more questions, though I'd check here first.

Thanks in advance,
Alastair
IMM

"Alastair Taylor" wrote in message
m...
[...]

There are a number of Albion models, which one? It appears that the one you
ordered is fine. It probably doesn't come with a ball cock and valve, which
may be confusing you. These cost a few quid at B&Q at the local plumbing
shop.

Alastair Taylor

"IMM" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks IMM, it is confusing me. Also I typo'd, should have read "has
instructions on connecting to an external cistern" not cylinder.
Alastair Taylor

"IMM" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks again IMM.

I asked for the Albion direct cylinder.

Done more research, looks like I need to get the appropriate (part2?)
ball valve?

main cold feed

| | |
| o--- | ======= part 2 ball valve
| \_|
| |
|----||-|
| |
| |
----------| |
hot out | |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
---------

I'll go back to the same merchant and ask for the correct accessories
for the cylinder.

All the best,
Alastair