william kossack

Default Iron Pyrite as inlay material

Today I finally went to a mineral store I had heard about some time ago.
It was an interesting place but they did not have much I was
interested in that I did not already have.

I decided to pick up some iron pyrite and give it a try on some of my
turnings. With the length of the drive and the cost of the gas I hated
returning empty handed. I got a small bag of finely ground pyrite and
one large nugget for a few dollars. I figured it might be interesting
as an inlay material.

Has anyone tried Iron Pyrite? As an experiment I took a couple pinches
of the powder and put it onto a piece of scrap then glued it down with
CA. After a little grinding and sanding it did not look like much.

Next I'm going to break up the nugget in order to try and get larger
sized pieces instead of the powder.

Worst case I'll use it as a filler for other inlace stones.
Greg G.

william kossack said:

Has anyone tried Iron Pyrite? As an experiment I took a couple pinches
of the powder and put it onto a piece of scrap then glued it down with
CA. After a little grinding and sanding it did not look like much.

I've not tried it, but depending on the color variation, it might be
interesting.

Next I'm going to break up the nugget in order to try and get larger
sized pieces instead of the powder.

Big pieces look better, IMHO, fill between chunks with power.
But if you crack it open and there is no pattern, it'll probably just
look like a greyish-black blob.

Worst case I'll use it as a filler for other inlace stones.

Put it in a Pyrex sandwich and give it your kids along with a magnet?

Greg G.
william kossack

I tried a second experiment last night.

I took some of the powder, put some down on the piece of scrap, applied
CA then put more pyrite on top. I was able to maintain the appearance
of the pyrite but the result was a rough surface.

Greg G. wrote:
william kossack said:

Has anyone tried Iron Pyrite? As an experiment I took a couple pinches
of the powder and put it onto a piece of scrap then glued it down with
CA. After a little grinding and sanding it did not look like much.

I've not tried it, but depending on the color variation, it might be
interesting.

Next I'm going to break up the nugget in order to try and get larger
sized pieces instead of the powder.

Big pieces look better, IMHO, fill between chunks with power.
But if you crack it open and there is no pattern, it'll probably just
look like a greyish-black blob.

Worst case I'll use it as a filler for other inlace stones.

Put it in a Pyrex sandwich and give it your kids along with a magnet?

Greg G.

Martin H. Eastburn

Pyrite is a crystal. Out of the crystal form - ground up - sanded... it will be
a bit dark and ugly :-) It is after all a Sulfide and is fools gold to the eye in
the cubic or 'ogon' form actually an Octahedron shape. If cleaved in line with an
axis - you might get in-lay material - don't plan on grinding unless it is on the edge.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

william kossack wrote:
Today I finally went to a mineral store I had heard about some time ago.
It was an interesting place but they did not have much I was interested
in that I did not already have.

I decided to pick up some iron pyrite and give it a try on some of my
turnings. With the length of the drive and the cost of the gas I hated
returning empty handed. I got a small bag of finely ground pyrite and
one large nugget for a few dollars. I figured it might be interesting
as an inlay material.

Has anyone tried Iron Pyrite? As an experiment I took a couple pinches
of the powder and put it onto a piece of scrap then glued it down with
CA. After a little grinding and sanding it did not look like much.

Next I'm going to break up the nugget in order to try and get larger
sized pieces instead of the powder.

Worst case I'll use it as a filler for other inlace stones.

Ken Moon

"william kossack" wrote in message
I tried a second experiment last night.

I took some of the powder, put some down on the piece of scrap, applied CA
then put more pyrite on top. I was able to maintain the appearance of the
pyrite but the result was a rough surface.

3M makes some small diamond files sold by jewelry supply outlets. I get mine
from Rio Grande in New Mexico. They come in 3 grit sizes and will cut the
iron pyrite. I haven't use it as inlay, so don't know what to expect as a
finished turning. Turquoise and coral both work great.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

william kossack

I don't think the problem is cutting the pyrite. The problem is what
the pyrite looks like after cutting.

PS picked up some garnet also both sand and small stones.