william kossack

Default Iron Pyrite as inlay material

Today I finally went to a mineral store I had heard about some time ago.
It was an interesting place but they did not have much I was
interested in that I did not already have.

I decided to pick up some iron pyrite and give it a try on some of my
turnings. With the length of the drive and the cost of the gas I hated
returning empty handed. I got a small bag of finely ground pyrite and
one large nugget for a few dollars. I figured it might be interesting
as an inlay material.

Has anyone tried Iron Pyrite? As an experiment I took a couple pinches
of the powder and put it onto a piece of scrap then glued it down with
CA. After a little grinding and sanding it did not look like much.

Next I'm going to break up the nugget in order to try and get larger
sized pieces instead of the powder.

Worst case I'll use it as a filler for other inlace stones.