Greg G.

Default Cutting parts for segmented vessels

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels _without_ a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

Tried a jig on the bandsaw, but it didn't quite cut it.
(no pun intended.)

Thanks,

Greg G.
Owen Lowe

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels _without_ a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

Tried a jig on the bandsaw, but it didn't quite cut it.
(no pun intended.)

If you truly want accuracy and pristine glue lines - then no saw will
give you what you're looking for. One of the best segmented turners in
the business, Curt Theobald http://www.curttheobald.com/ trues up
every piece of wood on his disk sander (after using a miter saw). Not
just holding it against the disk by hand, but with a jig that yields
repeatable results. Rent or buy his first video, "Introduction to
Segmented Turning",
http://www.curttheobald.com/store.html", $24.

As the librarian for one of the local chapters of the American
Association of Woodturners, I recommend this video as the number one
jumping off place for folks looking to get into segmenting.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.
Greg G.

Owen Lowe said:

Hey, you're repeating yourself. And you've also given away your trade
secret - Boiler Plate responses. Now I'm REALLY hurt... ;-)

I sent the other question to the wrong group - on my screen, they're
side by side. I responded there, so I won't repeat it here.

Well, then again, it's so noisy over there, maybe I will...

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

If you truly want accuracy and pristine glue lines - then no saw will
give you what you're looking for. One of the best segmented turners in
the business, Curt Theobald http://www.curttheobald.com/ trues up
every piece of wood on his disk sander (after using a miter saw). Not
just holding it against the disk by hand, but with a jig that yields
repeatable results. Rent or buy his first video, "Introduction to
Segmented Turning",
http://www.curttheobald.com/store.html", $24.

Thanks, this is usable information.
Does he use a CMS, or cut by hand?
I was kinda hoping to do this over the next week, starting today.

I've been cutting with a tablesaw and homemade jig, but can't do that
at this moment in time. I've been looking at plate (disc) sanders,
but the one I considered fit a tablesaw arbor and the jig I had
envisioned rides in the miter slot. A lathe mounted disk would be OK,
but there is no way to clamp the jig reliably. Or I just haven't
thought up the right method...

As the librarian for one of the local chapters of the American
Association of Woodturners, I recommend this video as the number one
jumping off place for folks looking to get into segmenting.

I'll look into it, thanks.
Do ya loan out videos to strangers in GA?
I promise to mail it back the next day... ;-)

Greg G.

Thanks,

Greg G.
Owen Lowe

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Thanks, this is usable information.
Does he use a CMS, or cut by hand?
I was kinda hoping to do this over the next week, starting today.

I've been cutting with a tablesaw and homemade jig, but can't do that
at this moment in time. I've been looking at plate (disc) sanders,
but the one I considered fit a tablesaw arbor and the jig I had
envisioned rides in the miter slot. A lathe mounted disk would be OK,
but there is no way to clamp the jig reliably. Or I just haven't
thought up the right method...

As the librarian for one of the local chapters of the American
Association of Woodturners, I recommend this video as the number one
jumping off place for folks looking to get into segmenting.

I'll look into it, thanks.
Do ya loan out videos to strangers in GA?
I promise to mail it back the next day... ;-)

Boilerplate when the same question is on both groups - I also do it for
someone searching for the info a year or five from now who might not
check the "wreck".

Theobald uses a CMS as I recall then goes to his 12" disk sander - BTW,
I see you cleaned up that typo . His video shows the whole process he
goes through to get his sanding sled to yield near perfectly angled
repeating pieces - that's why I recommend the video.

I've had the opportunity to view Curt's work twice in the last year and
a half or so. His segmenting joints are amazing - there's not a thick
glue line anywhere and every row lines up so well with what's above and
below.

Oh yes, there's another fellow, Malcolm Tibbetts, who has a new book out
on his segmenting. He's doing some very intricate pieces that will just
amaze you:

http://www.tahoeturner.com/gallery/26.html (And this is one of his
more tame pieces.)

http://www.tahoeturner.com/

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.
Greg G.

Owen Lowe said:

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Thanks, this is usable information.
Does he use a CMS, or cut by hand?

snip
I'll look into it, thanks.
Do ya loan out videos to strangers in GA?
I promise to mail it back the next day... ;-)

Boilerplate when the same question is on both groups - I also do it for
someone searching for the info a year or five from now who might not
check the "wreck".

I didn't mean to post it there... really...

I didn't think of that... I usually set X-NoArchive - but I think I
turned it off in these two groups. Archives are kinda scary when you
think about it...

And it does seem quite the "wreck" these days...

Theobald uses a CMS as I recall then goes to his 12" disk sander - BTW,
I see you cleaned up that typo . His video shows the whole process he
goes through to get his sanding sled to yield near perfectly angled
repeating pieces - that's why I recommend the video.

Yes, I did. And I made it not once, but twice - both in relation to
powered machinery. :-o

I'll definitely look for the video.

I've had the opportunity to view Curt's work twice in the last year and
a half or so. His segmenting joints are amazing - there's not a thick
glue line anywhere and every row lines up so well with what's above and
below.

I'm sure seeing this in person is all the more amazing.
I'm a perfectionist as well. I just have no talent...

Oh yes, there's another fellow, Malcolm Tibbetts, who has a new book out
on his segmenting. He's doing some very intricate pieces that will just
amaze you:

http://www.tahoeturner.com/gallery/26.html (And this is one of his
more tame pieces.)

WOW! Amazing stuff. Much of which I would never have thought of as
turned goods. And I wonder about the lamp shades - would they hold
up, or are they something you turn on for 5 minutes to wow the guests?

As always, Thanks,

Greg G.

John Haines

I'm going to try the plans I found @

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur....html#beginner

Seems well thought out but we'll see.

| John Haines |
| Science Applications International Corporation |
| NASA Langley Research Center |
| Mail Stop 157D |
| Hampton, Va 23681-2199 |
| 757-864-7420 FAX: 757-864-8807 |
| |

Greg G.

John Haines said:

I'm going to try the plans I found @

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur....html#beginner

Seems well thought out but we'll see.

I have a big dubby type sled that I built for a tablesaw.
Especially for this purpose. But I am currently unable to use a
tablesaw.

But I am going to try a bandsaw and a disc sanding jig - I need a good
sanding jig anyway.

Have you looked at this site?
http://www.turnedwood.com/

Look at some of the pics in the gallery...

Thanks.

Greg G.
W Canaday

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 06:15:17 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

http://www.tahoeturner.com/gallery/26.html (And this is one of his
more tame pieces.)

WOW! Amazing stuff. Much of which I would never have thought of as
turned goods. And I wonder about the lamp shades - would they hold
up, or are they something you turn on for 5 minutes to wow the guests?

As always, Thanks,

Greg G.

That Tahoeturner guy just aint right. I would give small body parts to
turn the bowls he does ... and then he cuts them apart!

I tell ya ... there's something unnatural about that!

Bill
Greg G.

W Canaday said:

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 06:15:17 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

http://www.tahoeturner.com/gallery/26.html (And this is one of his
more tame pieces.)

WOW! Amazing stuff. Much of which I would never have thought of as
turned goods. And I wonder about the lamp shades - would they hold
up, or are they something you turn on for 5 minutes to wow the guests?

As always, Thanks,

Greg G.

That Tahoeturner guy just aint right. I would give small body parts to
turn the bowls he does ... and then he cuts them apart!

I tell ya ... there's something unnatural about that!

Yeah, Bill, I realized that same predicament after looking at some of
their work. I pondered just what kind of mind could conceptualize
some of the designs and their implementation. Some of the things they
cut apart and glued back together in abstract forms look better than
my best amateurish attempts.

Then I figured it out... They Are Aliens...

Greg G.