Greg G.

Default Cutting parts for segmented vessels

Owen Lowe said:

Hey, you're repeating yourself. And you've also given away your trade
secret - Boiler Plate responses. Now I'm REALLY hurt... ;-)

I sent the other question to the wrong group - on my screen, they're
side by side. I responded there, so I won't repeat it here.

Well, then again, it's so noisy over there, maybe I will...

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

If you truly want accuracy and pristine glue lines - then no saw will
give you what you're looking for. One of the best segmented turners in
the business, Curt Theobald http://www.curttheobald.com/ trues up
every piece of wood on his disk sander (after using a miter saw). Not
just holding it against the disk by hand, but with a jig that yields
repeatable results. Rent or buy his first video, "Introduction to
Segmented Turning",
http://www.curttheobald.com/store.html", $24.

Thanks, this is usable information.
Does he use a CMS, or cut by hand?
I was kinda hoping to do this over the next week, starting today.

I've been cutting with a tablesaw and homemade jig, but can't do that
at this moment in time. I've been looking at plate (disc) sanders,
but the one I considered fit a tablesaw arbor and the jig I had
envisioned rides in the miter slot. A lathe mounted disk would be OK,
but there is no way to clamp the jig reliably. Or I just haven't
thought up the right method...

As the librarian for one of the local chapters of the American
Association of Woodturners, I recommend this video as the number one
jumping off place for folks looking to get into segmenting.

I'll look into it, thanks.
Do ya loan out videos to strangers in GA?
I promise to mail it back the next day... ;-)

Greg G.

Thanks,

Greg G.