Owen Lowe

Default Cutting parts for segmented vessels

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Thanks, this is usable information.
Does he use a CMS, or cut by hand?
I was kinda hoping to do this over the next week, starting today.

I've been cutting with a tablesaw and homemade jig, but can't do that
at this moment in time. I've been looking at plate (disc) sanders,
but the one I considered fit a tablesaw arbor and the jig I had
envisioned rides in the miter slot. A lathe mounted disk would be OK,
but there is no way to clamp the jig reliably. Or I just haven't
thought up the right method...

As the librarian for one of the local chapters of the American
Association of Woodturners, I recommend this video as the number one
jumping off place for folks looking to get into segmenting.

I'll look into it, thanks.
Do ya loan out videos to strangers in GA?
I promise to mail it back the next day... ;-)

Boilerplate when the same question is on both groups - I also do it for
someone searching for the info a year or five from now who might not
check the "wreck".

Theobald uses a CMS as I recall then goes to his 12" disk sander - BTW,
I see you cleaned up that typo . His video shows the whole process he
goes through to get his sanding sled to yield near perfectly angled
repeating pieces - that's why I recommend the video.

I've had the opportunity to view Curt's work twice in the last year and
a half or so. His segmenting joints are amazing - there's not a thick
glue line anywhere and every row lines up so well with what's above and
below.

Oh yes, there's another fellow, Malcolm Tibbetts, who has a new book out
on his segmenting. He's doing some very intricate pieces that will just
amaze you:

http://www.tahoeturner.com/gallery/26.html (And this is one of his
more tame pieces.)

http://www.tahoeturner.com/

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.