Default Hollowing tools

Hi guys.. as many of you know I have been turning for a while, lurking
here just as long and contributing when I can. I am going to be
getting a small windfall here in the next few days and I am looking for
a hollowing tool(s) for smaller objects, say not larger than 8 inches
in diameter, and no deeper than about 4 - 6 inches.

This will be for my mini lathes, not my Nova 3K, and maybe to be used
for lessons if I find a tool or afforable system I like. The problem
is there are just so damn many of them! I have been looking at
fabricating some of the tools I have seen as many are not too difficult
to make. And we all know the sites that have great instruction on shop
built hollowers.

How about something off the shelf I can get and start on the Christmas
goodies? I would rather be turning than making tools now.

Thanks -

Robert

Bjarte Runderheim

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys.. as many of you know I have been turning for a while, lurking
here just as long and contributing when I can. I am going to be
getting a small windfall here in the next few days and I am looking for
a hollowing tool(s) for smaller objects, say not larger than 8 inches
in diameter, and no deeper than about 4 - 6 inches.

This will be for my mini lathes, not my Nova 3K, and maybe to be used
for lessons if I find a tool or afforable system I like. The problem
is there are just so damn many of them! I have been looking at
fabricating some of the tools I have seen as many are not too difficult
to make. And we all know the sites that have great instruction on shop
built hollowers.

How about something off the shelf I can get and start on the Christmas
goodies? I would rather be turning than making tools now.

Why should not a "normal" bowl-gouge do the job?

I think I would have tried my time-proven deep fluted, fingernailsharpened,
3/8 Record HSS gouge. If the sides are to be very steep, like in a box, I
would use my ring-tool.

Bjarte

Darrell Feltmate

Robert
I made a couple of new tools the other day. It took about 45 minutes without
hurrying. Why not just make them and get to turning?

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for
a hollowing tool(s) for smaller objects, say not larger than 8 inches
in diameter, and no deeper than about 4 - 6 inches.

This will be for my mini lathes, not my Nova 3K, and maybe to be used
for lessons if I find a tool or afforable system I like. The problem
is there are just so damn many of them! I have been looking at
fabricating some of the tools I have seen as many are not too difficult
to make. And we all know the sites that have great instruction on shop
built hollowers.

How about something off the shelf I can get and start on the Christmas
goodies? I would rather be turning than making tools now.

Somewhat dated, but have at it.

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

More than just hollowing tools, you'll notice.

Tom Nie

Robert,

This past weekend I watched an instructor at John C. Campbell Folk School
use a beading tool to hollow with. Resulted in a very straight-sided hollow
for oil lamp bases.

Another was using an Ellsworth tool that looked like a Uzi (had a U-shaped
elbow brace). That seemed to require a lot of skill and left a rough finish.

Don Duden's system is to initially use a Forstner bit marked for desired
depth thereby giving a quick reference point to work from for depth.

Thoughts.
TomNie

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Ken Grunke

How about something off the shelf I can get and start on the Christmas
goodies? I would rather be turning than making tools now.

Thanks -

Robert

The Don Derry hollowing system is designed for small lathes, our AAW
chapter prez bought one and he really likes it. A quick google search
found this site:
http://www.fulmerwoodworking.com/too...ing.html#derry

Also, maybe the Johnston/Basham hollower might fit your needs. Don't
know where it's sold, but they're not too hard to make. It has an
anti-torque arm on the side, but doesn't need a seperate restrainer
toolrest like the Jamieson bar does. The one I made has a 1/4" rod
setscrewed into the end of the anti-torque arm, pointing towards the
cutter, and with a thin plastic flap on the end to act as a thickness
guage. Poor man's laser ;-)
I'll sell you mine, or make a new one--if you're interested email me
direct (see sig).

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/ecc/

--
clip the "ma" from com for email

Bill Rubenstein

If you really want something off the shelf...

For small stuff, assuming that you are not currently interested in a
trapped system but hand-held instead...

John Jordan makes a dandy set of smaller hollowing tools, good handles
and an arm brace. Take a look at:
http://johnjordanwoodturning.com/tools.htm

The cutting is done with a h/s steel machine bit which comes out for
major sharpening if needed and replacing.

Bill

Ken Grunke wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Newsgroups

M.J.

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
t...
If you really want something off the shelf...

For small stuff, assuming that you are not currently interested in a
trapped system but hand-held instead...

John Jordan makes a dandy set of smaller hollowing tools, good handles and
an arm brace. Take a look at: http://johnjordanwoodturning.com/tools.htm

The cutting is done with a h/s steel machine bit which comes out for major
sharpening if needed and replacing.

Bill

Couldn't agree more. I bought the large set some time ago and like them a
LOT better than the Stewart
system.

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

Ken Grunke wrote:
wrote:

[...]

=----

Guys:

Thanks a million for the links and info. I may do a couple of
different things; order one and make a couple.

I have made a couple of smaller hollowing tools, but I am nowhere near
as fast as Darrell. A couple of tools in 45 minutes exceeds my skill
level in metal working. I am a carpenter by trade, and if the tools
were made out of wood I would have a shop full.

BTW Darrell, I had not been by your site since the updates. As always,
inspirational and great to look at.

I would still like to hear from anyone else... ideas and help always
welcome.

Robert

Darrell Feltmate

Robert
Thanks for the kind words. The problem with making tools quickly is the
question of where to store the darn things, especially those ones that you
need once in a blue moon.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Brad Curfman

John DeBoo wrote:
Woodcraft has a mini HSS 5 piece turning set on sale for 40% off making
them $23.99
John

--

This sale is for the entire month of October. In addition to this mini
set, they do have all of their Sorby tools at 30% off. The flyer

Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net