DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hollowing tools (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/123589-hollowing-tools.html)

[email protected] October 5th 05 07:59 AM

Hollowing tools

Hi guys.. as many of you know I have been turning for a while, lurking
here just as long and contributing when I can. I am going to be
getting a small windfall here in the next few days and I am looking for
a hollowing tool(s) for smaller objects, say not larger than 8 inches
in diameter, and no deeper than about 4 - 6 inches.

This will be for my mini lathes, not my Nova 3K, and maybe to be used
for lessons if I find a tool or afforable system I like. The problem
is there are just so damn many of them! I have been looking at
fabricating some of the tools I have seen as many are not too difficult
to make. And we all know the sites that have great instruction on shop
built hollowers.

How about something off the shelf I can get and start on the Christmas
goodies? I would rather be turning than making tools now.

Thanks -

Robert

Bjarte Runderheim October 5th 05 08:48 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys.. as many of you know I have been turning for a while, lurking
here just as long and contributing when I can. I am going to be
getting a small windfall here in the next few days and I am looking for
a hollowing tool(s) for smaller objects, say not larger than 8 inches
in diameter, and no deeper than about 4 - 6 inches.

This will be for my mini lathes, not my Nova 3K, and maybe to be used
for lessons if I find a tool or afforable system I like. The problem
is there are just so damn many of them! I have been looking at
fabricating some of the tools I have seen as many are not too difficult
to make. And we all know the sites that have great instruction on shop
built hollowers.

How about something off the shelf I can get and start on the Christmas
goodies? I would rather be turning than making tools now.

Why should not a "normal" bowl-gouge do the job?

I think I would have tried my time-proven deep fluted, fingernailsharpened,
3/8 Record HSS gouge. If the sides are to be very steep, like in a box, I
would use my ring-tool.

Bjarte

Darrell Feltmate October 5th 05 11:33 AM

Robert
I made a couple of new tools the other day. It took about 45 minutes without
hurrying. Why not just make them and get to turning?

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

George October 5th 05 12:14 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for
a hollowing tool(s) for smaller objects, say not larger than 8 inches
in diameter, and no deeper than about 4 - 6 inches.

This will be for my mini lathes, not my Nova 3K, and maybe to be used
for lessons if I find a tool or afforable system I like. The problem
is there are just so damn many of them! I have been looking at
fabricating some of the tools I have seen as many are not too difficult
to make. And we all know the sites that have great instruction on shop
built hollowers.

How about something off the shelf I can get and start on the Christmas
goodies? I would rather be turning than making tools now.

Somewhat dated, but have at it.

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

More than just hollowing tools, you'll notice.

Tom Nie October 5th 05 02:50 PM

Robert,

This past weekend I watched an instructor at John C. Campbell Folk School
use a beading tool to hollow with. Resulted in a very straight-sided hollow
for oil lamp bases.

Another was using an Ellsworth tool that looked like a Uzi (had a U-shaped
elbow brace). That seemed to require a lot of skill and left a rough finish.

Don Duden's system is to initially use a Forstner bit marked for desired
depth thereby giving a quick reference point to work from for depth.

Thoughts.
TomNie

oups.com...

Ken Grunke October 5th 05 08:14 PM

wrote:

How about something off the shelf I can get and start on the Christmas
goodies? I would rather be turning than making tools now.

Thanks -

Robert

The Don Derry hollowing system is designed for small lathes, our AAW
chapter prez bought one and he really likes it. A quick google search
found this site:
http://www.fulmerwoodworking.com/too...ing.html#derry

Also, maybe the Johnston/Basham hollower might fit your needs. Don't
know where it's sold, but they're not too hard to make. It has an
anti-torque arm on the side, but doesn't need a seperate restrainer
toolrest like the Jamieson bar does. The one I made has a 1/4" rod
setscrewed into the end of the anti-torque arm, pointing towards the
cutter, and with a thin plastic flap on the end to act as a thickness
guage. Poor man's laser ;-)
I'll sell you mine, or make a new one--if you're interested email me
direct (see sig).

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/ecc/

--
clip the "ma" from com for email

Bill Rubenstein October 5th 05 11:58 PM

If you really want something off the shelf...

For small stuff, assuming that you are not currently interested in a
trapped system but hand-held instead...

John Jordan makes a dandy set of smaller hollowing tools, good handles
and an arm brace. Take a look at:
http://johnjordanwoodturning.com/tools.htm

The cutting is done with a h/s steel machine bit which comes out for
major sharpening if needed and replacing.

Bill

Ken Grunke wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Newsgroups

M.J. October 6th 05 05:25 AM

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
t...
If you really want something off the shelf...

For small stuff, assuming that you are not currently interested in a
trapped system but hand-held instead...

John Jordan makes a dandy set of smaller hollowing tools, good handles and
an arm brace. Take a look at: http://johnjordanwoodturning.com/tools.htm

The cutting is done with a h/s steel machine bit which comes out for major
sharpening if needed and replacing.

Bill

Couldn't agree more. I bought the large set some time ago and like them a
LOT better than the Stewart
system.

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

=----

[email protected] October 6th 05 07:00 AM

Guys:

Thanks a million for the links and info. I may do a couple of
different things; order one and make a couple.

I have made a couple of smaller hollowing tools, but I am nowhere near
as fast as Darrell. A couple of tools in 45 minutes exceeds my skill
level in metal working. I am a carpenter by trade, and if the tools
were made out of wood I would have a shop full.

BTW Darrell, I had not been by your site since the updates. As always,
inspirational and great to look at.

I would still like to hear from anyone else... ideas and help always
welcome.

Robert

Darrell Feltmate October 6th 05 11:41 AM

Robert
Thanks for the kind words. The problem with making tools quickly is the
question of where to store the darn things, especially those ones that you
need once in a blue moon.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Brad Curfman October 8th 05 03:24 PM

Hollowing tools

John DeBoo wrote:
Woodcraft has a mini HSS 5 piece turning set on sale for 40% off making
them $23.99
John

--

This sale is for the entire month of October. In addition to this mini
set, they do have all of their Sorby tools at 30% off. The flyer

Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net