George

Default Hurrying - Geese

Two cords short of next winter's wood. It's here, just needs cutting to
length and splitting. Stacking to dry on pallets, because this year's fills
the regular racks. Then there are about two cords of larger logs on the
other side of the firewood, mostly maple, three good sized cherry, and what
looks as if it might be black ash.

I told myself I wouldn't turn first and split later, but I've already
cheated. Pretty much every afternoon I've taken a piece inside and turned
it. Cherry with bark and without, but all interrupted edge. I've done a
few salad bowls, and some goblets. Half hour ago I began to rip some hard
maple. Comfortable size of about 13" x only 4 1/2, from a flattened butt
log. Just a couple pieces with nice figure from being squashed. Nice day
to take a turning break.

Then the noise started in the north. No mistaking it. Geese. At about
1500 feet, two large echelon formations, direction SSE. The leaves are
still green, even some of the apples. But winter's coming. Geese.

I'll gas up and do some more firewood. Lots of time to turn later on. The
geese are flying.

mac davis

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:31:37 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

Two cords short of next winter's wood.

Is that an addition to Bill Noble's "2 bricks short of a full load" list,
George? *g*

We actually have geese buzzing back and forth in California, too... they have a
short commute this time of year, they head south every morning to the lake and
then back north to wherever they nest... looks like they're heading Millerton
lake...
They'll be heading to southern CA in a few weeks, but it sure is fun watching
them this time of year, as they fly at tree top level in their vee formation...

[...]

Please remove splinters before emailing
Tom Nie

Mac & George,

Little off your point but really COOL re birds.

Weekend on the Harleys up to Breaks Interstate Park on the VA/KY border -
standing on an overlook into the gorge - here come to two Golden Eagles like
B52's from our left, nothing but silhouettes, still something seemed
different so I called to the others, then they pass just UNDERNEATH us and
we realize what they are. First sighting for the wife & I and we get to see
them from overhead.

Geese in the fall, the smells & colors, nature in general, the beauty of
wood revealed by turning & sanding - all cool, down-to-earth real stuff.

TomNie

"George" George@least wrote in message
[...]

George

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Mac & George,

Little off your point but really COOL re birds.

Weekend on the Harleys up to Breaks Interstate Park on the VA/KY border -
standing on an overlook into the gorge - here come to two Golden Eagles
like B52's from our left, nothing but silhouettes, still something seemed
different so I called to the others, then they pass just UNDERNEATH us and
we realize what they are. First sighting for the wife & I and we get to
see them from overhead.

Don't have goldens up here, but the pair of bald eagles on the river have
another fledgling this year. When we're down swimming they sometimes come
in low right along the river to evaluate the size of the small dog. River's
maybe 40 feet wide just below the swimming hole, with trees right to the
banks. They're 7 feet across or more.

Reminds me of the days when they would allow it, and we took a trip down the
Grand Canyon in our B 52.

George

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
As in literally a B52?

A Bald Eagle that close and I'd be polluting the river.

Yep, genuine Buff. Holbrook bombplot was close by, and sometimes the
center would clear you for a canyon tour if the choppers and bug smashers
weren't flying. They wouldn't allow VFR (1200) traffic in the canyon, so
they had a pretty good handle on things.

The eagles appear as a feathered overcast versus aluminum, but they too can
be unnerving.

Leif Thorvaldson

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
As in literally a B52?

A Bald Eagle that close and I'd be polluting the river.

Yep, genuine Buff. Holbrook bombplot was close by, and sometimes the
center would clear you for a canyon tour if the choppers and bug smashers
weren't flying. They wouldn't allow VFR (1200) traffic in the canyon, so
they had a pretty good handle on things.

The eagles appear as a feathered overcast versus aluminum, but they too
can be unnerving.

======I had the privilege of accompanying a Buff crew on a 10 hour mission
consisting of high altitude and low altitude bomb runs. Most during
darkness, what a ride! Covering SD, MT, ID, and a few other states not yet
discovered. Most disconcerting was when we found out that we were sharing
the same flight level as another buff doing its thing. Always had a special
respect for the Buff crews after that mission.

Leif

George

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
I had the privilege of accompanying a Buff crew on a 10 hour mission
consisting of high altitude and low altitude bomb runs. Most during
darkness, what a ride!

My personal longest was 29.2 hours.

That 'chute gets pretty heavy after the first dozen.

Leif Thorvaldson

=====They issued chutes? *G*