mac davis

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:31:37 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

Two cords short of next winter's wood.

Is that an addition to Bill Noble's "2 bricks short of a full load" list,
George? *g*

We actually have geese buzzing back and forth in California, too... they have a
short commute this time of year, they head south every morning to the lake and
then back north to wherever they nest... looks like they're heading Millerton
lake...
They'll be heading to southern CA in a few weeks, but it sure is fun watching
them this time of year, as they fly at tree top level in their vee formation...

It's here, just needs cutting to length and splitting. Stacking to dry on pallets, because this year's fills
the regular racks. Then there are about two cords of larger logs on the
other side of the firewood, mostly maple, three good sized cherry, and what
looks as if it might be black ash.

I told myself I wouldn't turn first and split later, but I've already
cheated. Pretty much every afternoon I've taken a piece inside and turned
it. Cherry with bark and without, but all interrupted edge. I've done a
few salad bowls, and some goblets. Half hour ago I began to rip some hard
maple. Comfortable size of about 13" x only 4 1/2, from a flattened butt
log. Just a couple pieces with nice figure from being squashed. Nice day
to take a turning break.

Then the noise started in the north. No mistaking it. Geese. At about
1500 feet, two large echelon formations, direction SSE. The leaves are
still green, even some of the apples. But winter's coming. Geese.

I'll gas up and do some more firewood. Lots of time to turn later on. The
geese are flying.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing