Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
George

Default Hurrying - Geese

Two cords short of next winter's wood. It's here, just needs cutting to
length and splitting. Stacking to dry on pallets, because this year's fills
the regular racks. Then there are about two cords of larger logs on the
other side of the firewood, mostly maple, three good sized cherry, and what
looks as if it might be black ash.

I told myself I wouldn't turn first and split later, but I've already
cheated. Pretty much every afternoon I've taken a piece inside and turned
it. Cherry with bark and without, but all interrupted edge. I've done a
few salad bowls, and some goblets. Half hour ago I began to rip some hard
maple. Comfortable size of about 13" x only 4 1/2, from a flattened butt
log. Just a couple pieces with nice figure from being squashed. Nice day
to take a turning break.

Then the noise started in the north. No mistaking it. Geese. At about
1500 feet, two large echelon formations, direction SSE. The leaves are
still green, even some of the apples. But winter's coming. Geese.

I'll gas up and do some more firewood. Lots of time to turn later on. The
geese are flying.