Tom Nie

Mac & George,

Little off your point but really COOL re birds.

Weekend on the Harleys up to Breaks Interstate Park on the VA/KY border -
standing on an overlook into the gorge - here come to two Golden Eagles like
B52's from our left, nothing but silhouettes, still something seemed
different so I called to the others, then they pass just UNDERNEATH us and
we realize what they are. First sighting for the wife & I and we get to see
them from overhead.

Geese in the fall, the smells & colors, nature in general, the beauty of
wood revealed by turning & sanding - all cool, down-to-earth real stuff.

TomNie

"George" George@least wrote in message
Two cords short of next winter's wood. It's here, just needs cutting to
length and splitting. Stacking to dry on pallets, because this year's
fills the regular racks. Then there are about two cords of larger logs on
the other side of the firewood, mostly maple, three good sized cherry, and
what looks as if it might be black ash.

I told myself I wouldn't turn first and split later, but I've already
cheated. Pretty much every afternoon I've taken a piece inside and turned
it. Cherry with bark and without, but all interrupted edge. I've done a
few salad bowls, and some goblets. Half hour ago I began to rip some hard
maple. Comfortable size of about 13" x only 4 1/2, from a flattened butt
log. Just a couple pieces with nice figure from being squashed. Nice day
to take a turning break.

Then the noise started in the north. No mistaking it. Geese. At about
1500 feet, two large echelon formations, direction SSE. The leaves are
still green, even some of the apples. But winter's coming. Geese.

I'll gas up and do some more firewood. Lots of time to turn later on.
The geese are flying.