charlie b

Default Dancing Rings

Part of the fun of being a newbie turner is discovering
how to do things that are common knowledge for more
experienced turners. Case in point - cutting a ring
free from the surrounding turning. Using a 1/2"
skew, I undercut the disk on both sides with the lathe
on. I turned the lathe off and manually turned the
piece to make the final through cut. Then I cleaned
out the remaining stubble on the "background" so
the free ring could move out of the way enough to
turn that area smooth. Set the lathe to its lowest
speed and turned it on. A little work with a small
spindle gouge and then tapped the ring loose.

It started dancing. Change the speed and the dance
changed. So I did three more, changing the side
slopes and lengths. Interesting.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/.../Turning5.html

This turning thing is addicting. Maybe I should
become a Studio Turner or Rotationiste!

charlie b
tom

Ahh, so that's how! Tom

Ron Robinson

I liked the exclamation point. Now let's see you do a question mark.

Ron Robinson
East Texas

charlie b

Ron Robinson wrote:

I liked the exclamation point. Now let's see you do a question mark.

Ron Robinson
East Texas

Here you go Ron.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...tationist.html

Any where near Winnsboro (or is it Winsboro)?
Got swept off a cutting horse in that little town,
thanks to some evil cousins with warped senses
of humor. When a horse, chasing a calf, runs under
low branches, that damned western saddle saddle
horn was jut tall enough to keep me from getting
under that branch. But Shorty was one hell of
a working horse and I still cuss him once in
a while - 45 years later, to say nothing of
what I say about those cousings.

Shawls Bayldon
The Rotationiste
formerly known as