charlie b

Default Dancing Rings

Part of the fun of being a newbie turner is discovering
how to do things that are common knowledge for more
experienced turners. Case in point - cutting a ring
free from the surrounding turning. Using a 1/2"
skew, I undercut the disk on both sides with the lathe
on. I turned the lathe off and manually turned the
piece to make the final through cut. Then I cleaned
out the remaining stubble on the "background" so
the free ring could move out of the way enough to
turn that area smooth. Set the lathe to its lowest
speed and turned it on. A little work with a small
spindle gouge and then tapped the ring loose.

It started dancing. Change the speed and the dance
changed. So I did three more, changing the side
slopes and lengths. Interesting.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/.../Turning5.html

This turning thing is addicting. Maybe I should
become a Studio Turner or Rotationiste!

charlie b