Dick

Default Wax Rings For Toilets

I have two, new toilets on order. In anticipation, I went to Home
Depot this morning to get some wax rings for the installation. I
figured, easy enough. Just buy a couple of wax rings and off you go.
Holy Mackerel! There are more types of toilet rings than candy bars!
Some have no wax at all. Some have various kinds of vinyl rings.
Some have bolts. Some don't. Some are thin. Some are thick. How in
the heck do you decided which type to use? Many of them were made by
the same manufacturer. The non-wax sound good, but looks like they
may restrict the opening. What's the word on toilet rings?

Dick
Duane Bozarth

Dick wrote:

I have two, new toilets on order. In anticipation, I went to Home
Depot this morning to get some wax rings for the installation. I
figured, easy enough. Just buy a couple of wax rings and off you go.
Holy Mackerel! There are more types of toilet rings than candy bars!
Some have no wax at all. Some have various kinds of vinyl rings.
Some have bolts. Some don't. Some are thin. Some are thick. How in
the heck do you decided which type to use? Many of them were made by
the same manufacturer. The non-wax sound good, but looks like they
may restrict the opening. What's the word on toilet rings?

Newer non-wax are good, old wax are still good, too. Have heard of a
couple of instances where a portable heater was set too close to the
stool and melted the wax--a non-wax one would alleviate that.

As for your particular toilets, the dimensions for them will be w/ them
or available from the distributor's literature...
Matt

Speaking of wax rings, a really funny joke to play is to reverse the
piping in someones home, after it exits the water heater.

This way, all the toilets fill with hot water!

So, somebody comes in, takes a big dump, flushes.... and KABOOM! The
toilet explodes.

I saw this on candid camera a couple years ago.

John Harlow

Speaking of wax rings, a really funny joke to play is to reverse the
piping in someones home, after it exits the water heater.

This way, all the toilets fill with hot water!

So, somebody comes in, takes a big dump, flushes.... and KABOOM! The
toilet explodes.

How about giving really fat people a wafer thin mint after they've had a big
dinner?

Matt

it's wafer thin, you know!

Dave

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Speaking of wax rings, a really funny joke to play is to reverse the
piping in someones home, after it exits the water heater.

This way, all the toilets fill with hot water!

So, somebody comes in, takes a big dump, flushes.... and KABOOM! The
toilet explodes.

I saw this on candid camera a couple years ago.

Can't see it blowing up but I can guess they 'd have a sweaty butt!

rnr_construction

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
it's wafer thin, you know!

and its skinny too

luv2cmwork

Never had a problem with the wax rings. Well..... no problems other
than "missing" the mounting point. Get the wax ring with the molded

in
plastic horn. Best design.

I agree, get the one with the plastic horn molded in. In my
experience, they tend to leak less.

Something I do, quite often, is buy a wax ring with the plastic horn
molded in and then I'll also pick up a plain wax ring (they are cheap).
In the rare instance, that the single ring is not enough, I have
doubled them up and made them work. This usually only happens on older
piping, where the closet flange does not exist or the flange is too
low, due to poor installation or added floor height (due to adding
tile, for example). Having an "extra" is a good idea anyway and it
sure beats having to run to the store, since they are so cheap.

Dick

On 10 Feb 2005 07:15:05 -0800, "luv2cmwork"
wrote:

Never had a problem with the wax rings. Well..... no problems other
than "missing" the mounting point. Get the wax ring with the molded

in
plastic horn. Best design.

I agree, get the one with the plastic horn molded in. In my
experience, they tend to leak less.

Something I do, quite often, is buy a wax ring with the plastic horn
molded in and then I'll also pick up a plain wax ring (they are cheap).
In the rare instance, that the single ring is not enough, I have
doubled them up and made them work. This usually only happens on older
piping, where the closet flange does not exist or the flange is too
low, due to poor installation or added floor height (due to adding
tile, for example). Having an "extra" is a good idea anyway and it
sure beats having to run to the store, since they are so cheap.

Thanks for the input. I will buy the one with the plastic horn and
extra plain wax rings. I know at least one of our toilets needs two
wax rings since we put tile in the bathroom.

Dick